Skip to main content

For gamers in the USA: Preparing for Lost Odyssey

My progress report: I'm midway through Disc 2 while my wife is on Disc 4. She's on the verge of finishing the game while I'm just halfway through it. In the past most of the comments I've written were on her behalf. Now I'll get to say something.

This is probably the most challenging Japanese RPG (JRPG) I've played on the Xbox 360. It isn't that the enemies become impossible, it just takes a bit more effort to get through some areas. I don't want to spoil things, I will say this---Lost Odyssey doesn't serve things to you on a silver platter. You've gotta earn the right to get to the next area, next town or the next cutscene. In some cases I think some will get frustrated (as I did, in one spot on Disc 2). But I will say that once you overcome some of the harder enemies and areas, the game is very rewarding. That's because the cutscenes are well done and really make the characters come alive.

So I was thinking of writing this for our fellow gamers in the United States who will be buying this game in a few days (February 12, I think). When you're going to play Lost Odyssey, block off your schedule. This game doesn't let you save anywhere so you have to have some idea of how much time you can spend playing the game. Because of the save point system, there will be moments when you just can't quit midway through a dungeon because the walk back is quite far and there are a lot of monsters in the way. So as early as now, I'll say that Lost Odyssey requires quite a bit of time commitment. To be honest I haven't played a game like this in a while. I've been spoiled by the Western RPG (WRPG) save system where you can practically save anywhere. While it can be convenient, I noticed any gamer can abuse the system:

In a WRPG you can test for several outcomes because of the save system. Essentially if you have a choice to make (be it a simple choice such as to use an item or to say one thing or another), you simply save before you make your choice, then make choice 1. If you don't like the outcome, you load your saved game then you make choice 2, and so on. In either case you end up spoiling all the possible outcomes and reduce whatever risks existed when you were required to make a choice to begin with. In a way, this can lessen the impact and importance of your decision on your game as a whole.

While in Lost Odyssey there isn't really a 'branching' story path like Mass Effect, the save point system makes things a bit more challenging. There's a greater sense of risk with the choices that you make in turn-based battles. For instance, when I played the game today I ended up fighting this really difficult boss. The boss was supported by four other strong enemies. Three of my party members were killed and I only had two left. However, I had a chance to get back in the fight; I had one rare item in my inventory that would instantly revive one of my dead characters with maximum HP and MP. I had to make a decision---would I use this item now and lose the chance to do that later on in the game when I face harder monsters/bosses, or would I save this item for later and risk getting defeated? I knew the save point was quite far away from the boss. I also knew that the game had a checkpoint system where you may start near the boss, but you'd have to face a few more monsters along the way, before you can get a rematch with it. I had been spending a lot of time already in the dungeon and I wanted to win, so in the end, I used the rare item.

After a lengthy battle, my party emerged victorious! My risky decision to use the rare item turned the tide in my party's favor. Winning against that boss gave me a great feeling of satisfaction that I haven't experienced in an RPG in a long time. I think that's because I was exposed to so much risk in the scenario that the game presented to me:

1. There's the risk of losing and starting over from the save point or checkpoint

2. There's the danger that using some of the ultra-rare items early might pose a problem later on.

I've also noticed a lot of combat situations in Lost Odyssey are not straightforward; simply getting the strongest spell and casting it isn't a good idea in many situations. That's because Lost Odyssey introduces things like GC and casting time. As we've posted earlier, GC is one of those things that really makes turn-based combat require a lot more strategy, because it measures overall defense. You have to keep it up if you want to stay for the long haul. Casting time is also another thing which balances out the turn-based system; that's because you can't simply abuse your strongest magics to plow through most regular enemies. Because of casting time you'll find yourself relying on your items a lot more. Using items during battles is much, much faster compared to casting a 'Heal All' spell (Zephyr). The catch with items is that, items are expensive, and gold isn't readily available.

Overall, currently my experience with Lost Odyssey continues to be very favorable. I'm looking forward to the next few areas. I just have to find a way to avoid my wife's game spoilers.....

Popular posts from this blog

More on PS3 Hardware Failures: AICN's Moriarty Hit By BDL

Earlier I posted about how the PS3 is no less susceptible to hardware problems. The issue was dubbed the 'BDL' (Blu-Ray Disc Laser problem) over on Pinoyxbox by the multi-console users in the community. You'd find a lot more information about this by searching for error 80010514 and 80029906. That said, I saw this post on AICN from Moriarty ....apparently he also got hit by the BDL problem. He had the console repaired by Sony, and when he got his replacement, he was hit by another problem: he encountered an issue while updating his PS3, causing his system to get bricked. So now he's had two broken PS3s in a row, and the system has lost his recommendation as a blu-ray player system of choice for consumers: "Regarding Moriarty’s Awesome Non-Stop Blu-Ray Coverage... Or Lack Thereof! Dear Sony... Y’know, some days it doesn’t pay to be a movie fan. I’ve done tons of DVD coverage over the years here at AICN, and it’s funny... I’ve heard some people actually say, “But yo

Lost Odyssey Theme Song - "What You Are" by Sheena Easton

I've uploaded the theme song for Lost Odyssey in YouTube. Check out the video below: At first, I wasn't so into the song but when I heard it in full it grows on you. The song is actually quite beautiful. It was sung by Sheena Easton. With the lyrics from Hironobu Sakaguchi and the composition by Nobuo Uematsu. Very moving song, specially once you understand the lyrics. Below are the lyrics for the song "What You Are" by Sheena Easton When you touch me It feels just like a dream With the warmth that's in your eyes When you look at me I hear your voice beside me It whispers to me I can't hide how it makes me feel The shyness you see I may never Understand how deep it goes But I know how I feel What I hold deep in my heart There's just no way to stop this It's hopeless but true I feel this love More than anything So what more can I do You know I thought I would be much stronger than I am But then I feel the boldness that's inside my heart Just melt aw

Gamers based in the Philippines: How to get in Xbox Live

NOTE: This article has recently been updated (as of August 12, 2006). Singapore no longer lets you input '00000' as your zip code. Please see below for alternate zip codes. So you're a Filipino living in the Philippines with a brand-spanking new Xbox 360. You've heard about all the wonderful stories on Xbox Live. You happen to have a pretty good broadband connection. One day, you try out the Xbox Live sign-up options on your 360, and you find out to your dismay that your country is NOT listed. What do you do? Now, you can probably enjoy your 360 without live at all, but I have to tell you: YOU ARE MISSING OUT. As Peter Moore said in the recent MS Press Conference: "Having your 360 connected to Xbox Live is as vital as having your computer connected to the Internet". He is so damned right. I've been playing on Xbox Live for almost a year now (both on my original Xbox and the Xbox 360). Essentially I found out all of this with a little bit of research, a lit