Skip to main content

Developer Vents on Making Games for the PC Platform

Here's a post made by Michael Fitch, a producer for the PC game 'Titan Quest':

"Greetings:
So,
ILE shut down. This is tangentially related to that, not why they shut down, but part of why it was such a difficult freaking slog trying not to. It's a rough, rough world out there for independent studios who want to make big games, even worse if you're single-team and don't have a successful franchise to ride or a wealthy benefactor. Trying to make it on PC product is even tougher, and here's why.

Piracy. Yeah, that's right, I said it. No, I don't want to re-hash the endless "piracy spreads awareness", "I only pirate because there's no demo", "people who pirate wouldn't buy the game anyway" round-robin. Been there, done that. I do want to point to a couple of things, though.

One, there are other costs to piracy than just lost sales. For example, with TQ, the game was pirated and released on the nets before it hit stores. It was a fairly quick-and-dirty crack job, and in fact, it missed a lot of the copy-protection that was in the game. One of the copy-protection routines was keyed off the quest system, for example. You could start the game just fine, but when the quest triggered, it would do a security check, and dump you out if you had a pirated copy. There was another one in the streaming routine. So, it's a couple of days before release, and I start seeing people on the forums complaining about how buggy the game is, how it crashes all the time. A lot of people are talking about how it crashes right when you come out of the first cave. Yeah, that's right. There was a security check there.

So, before the game even comes out, we've got people bad-mouthing it because their pirated copies crash, even though a legitimate copy won't. We took a lot of shit on this, completely undeserved mind you. How many people decided to pick up the pirated version because it had this reputation and they didn't want to risk buying something that didn't work? Talk about your self-fulfilling prophecy."

There's more....read the full post here:
http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?t=42663

It's an interesting read because you'll learn about the challenges PC developers face when making games for the PC platform. After reading that, I feel a bit sorry for PC developers in general. From reading that post, it seems that developing games for the PC platform must be incredibly difficult.

From a consumer standpoint, I used to be a PC gamer myself, but I stopped because PCs seem to require that you upgrade your video card, CPU, motherboard and RAM every six months. Having average hardware yields average performance out of your games, and it doesn't help that the advertising on PCs always goes along the lines of "Buy this so that you will play your games the way they're MEANT to be played." At first I must admit I found the whole 'upgrade-mania" that's part and parcel of PC gaming to be quite a bit of fun.....but it does get taxing on the wallet at some point. Couple that with the fact that big games for the PC only come out every other year (if you're lucky), and when they do come out, they always have system requirements that are higher than what you anticipated they'd be. So you end up spending even more on PC hardware, just to make sure everything works perfectly.

At some point I switched to console gaming because there's less of a need for system maintenance and hardware upgrades with the format. I don't have to worry that I'm running a game at a less-than-optimal rate than my peers, because everyone with the same console as you has the same hardware; and I guess even developers will find that easier because they have a set target configuration to work with when making games. This ensures that the quality of their games is more focused and consistent, too.

The only negative with console gaming?

Console wars on the Internet.

"My multiplatform port is better than your port!"


"The PS3 is better than the Xbox 360 because it has Blu-ray! Movies FTMFW!!!"


"Uncharted justifies my $600 purchase! YESSS!!!"


"Final Fantasy 13 is PS3 exclusive! EXCLUUUUUSIVE! That JRPG of yours is just a copy of this! So what if it was worked on by the father of Final Fantasy? We've still got the BRAND! THE BRAND!!!!! LOLZ"


I see this a lot on NEOGAF forums. Every single day. I try to ignore it and still go to NEOGAF because they get all the console gaming news first. It's still annoying to me when I see it though.

...hmm, come to think of it, when I was a PC gamer usually the forum threads are like this:

"OMG my rig can do 400 FPS, a whopping 4% better than your rig! pwn3d lol"

Popular posts from this blog

More on PS3 Hardware Failures: AICN's Moriarty Hit By BDL

Earlier I posted about how the PS3 is no less susceptible to hardware problems. The issue was dubbed the 'BDL' (Blu-Ray Disc Laser problem) over on Pinoyxbox by the multi-console users in the community. You'd find a lot more information about this by searching for error 80010514 and 80029906. That said, I saw this post on AICN from Moriarty ....apparently he also got hit by the BDL problem. He had the console repaired by Sony, and when he got his replacement, he was hit by another problem: he encountered an issue while updating his PS3, causing his system to get bricked. So now he's had two broken PS3s in a row, and the system has lost his recommendation as a blu-ray player system of choice for consumers: "Regarding Moriarty’s Awesome Non-Stop Blu-Ray Coverage... Or Lack Thereof! Dear Sony... Y’know, some days it doesn’t pay to be a movie fan. I’ve done tons of DVD coverage over the years here at AICN, and it’s funny... I’ve heard some people actually say, “But yo

Lost Odyssey Theme Song - "What You Are" by Sheena Easton

I've uploaded the theme song for Lost Odyssey in YouTube. Check out the video below: At first, I wasn't so into the song but when I heard it in full it grows on you. The song is actually quite beautiful. It was sung by Sheena Easton. With the lyrics from Hironobu Sakaguchi and the composition by Nobuo Uematsu. Very moving song, specially once you understand the lyrics. Below are the lyrics for the song "What You Are" by Sheena Easton When you touch me It feels just like a dream With the warmth that's in your eyes When you look at me I hear your voice beside me It whispers to me I can't hide how it makes me feel The shyness you see I may never Understand how deep it goes But I know how I feel What I hold deep in my heart There's just no way to stop this It's hopeless but true I feel this love More than anything So what more can I do You know I thought I would be much stronger than I am But then I feel the boldness that's inside my heart Just melt aw

Gamers based in the Philippines: How to get in Xbox Live

NOTE: This article has recently been updated (as of August 12, 2006). Singapore no longer lets you input '00000' as your zip code. Please see below for alternate zip codes. So you're a Filipino living in the Philippines with a brand-spanking new Xbox 360. You've heard about all the wonderful stories on Xbox Live. You happen to have a pretty good broadband connection. One day, you try out the Xbox Live sign-up options on your 360, and you find out to your dismay that your country is NOT listed. What do you do? Now, you can probably enjoy your 360 without live at all, but I have to tell you: YOU ARE MISSING OUT. As Peter Moore said in the recent MS Press Conference: "Having your 360 connected to Xbox Live is as vital as having your computer connected to the Internet". He is so damned right. I've been playing on Xbox Live for almost a year now (both on my original Xbox and the Xbox 360). Essentially I found out all of this with a little bit of research, a lit