Skip to main content

1UP has an infantile definition of what is 'mature' in video games

From Andrew Fitch, on 1UP's Lost Odyssey review:

" Early on in Lost Odyssey (Final Fantasy creator Hironobu Sakaguchi's Xbox 360 follow-up to the disappointingly kiddie Blue Dragon) it becomes clear this is not the Japanese role-playing game of your childhood. As the gloomy protagonist Kaim and his cohorts set off on their adventure, they're greeted not by pomp and circumstance but by a womanizing rogue named Jansen, who stumbles in drunk, having spent the night with a trio of scantily clad sexpots who can only be described as "ladies of the evening"...and these buxom babes summarily attempt to entice Kaim's female companion, Seth, to come hither as well.

Unfortunately, Lost Odyssey doesn't quite go far enough with the grown-up mindset, sabotaging the story early on with the introduction of a couple of loudmouth, grating kids -- straight knockoffs of Palom and Porom from Final Fantasy IV. And just like on a claustrophobic plane ride, these unwelcome munchkins threaten to spoil the whole adventure."

But wait, there's more....

".....But the most effective character by far -- and the breakout star of the show, quite frankly -- is the aforementioned Jansen, who brings a Bruce Campbell-style levity to the proceedings as a scoundrel with a heart and a weakness for women...any woman, from riffraff to royalty. Jansen's presence means the proceedings never devolve too much into self-absorbed pretentiousness: Even as the over-the-top, ham-fisted villain delivers an overlong monologue describing his plans for world domination, Jansen's there to save the day (and the player's patience!) by cracking wise. "

So waitaminute, if the game had more scenes with Jansen having sex with a lot of hot chicks, Lost Odyssey would have had a more 'mature' story and have become a better game? Is this what classifies as 'mature' now?

1up, this is NOT Jansen.

I think Andrew Fitch has such a juvenile, infantile view of what makes material in a game 'mature'. If you ask me, what makes Lost Odyssey mature is the way it talks about death and loss in the human experience. I, for one, never disliked the inclusion of the younger characters Cooke and Mack. I think they broaden the scope of human experience in the game and offer something that you never see in the JRPG genre, a nearly accurate characterization of younger people. Those two child characters are well-acted and, if you ask me, make the story feel more unique in comparison to a lot of other JRPGs out there. They act like kids but I never found them overbearing....they fit in the story in a great way. Having them around actually makes you understand the burden of Kaim's immortality a bit more (and here I cannot elaborate without spoiling the game, so I won't.....)


That said, seeing writing like that makes me lose even more respect for the quality of game journalism out there. I know that perhaps they're trying to relate with their audience (some of which might still find topics related to 'sex', like, totally rad [/sarcasm] ). The issue here is that, when it comes to Lost Odyssey, the review doesn't look at the big picture. It focuses so much on little things that seem like flaws that are against the personal preference of the critic.

Now let me one more thing straight. I like Jansen. He's a great character....and provides much needed comedic relief in many occasions in the game. I just don't like how 1UP is cheapening his character. He's certainly no prick as this 1Up review may describe him to be. My wife tells me that stuff happens later in the game which really evolve this character....he doesn't deserve to get bastardized like that on a cheap game review site like 1UP.com. He deserves better.

1UP, stop sending the wrong signals to game developers regarding the meaning of maturity in video games.

Popular posts from this blog

More on PS3 Hardware Failures: AICN's Moriarty Hit By BDL

Earlier I posted about how the PS3 is no less susceptible to hardware problems. The issue was dubbed the 'BDL' (Blu-Ray Disc Laser problem) over on Pinoyxbox by the multi-console users in the community. You'd find a lot more information about this by searching for error 80010514 and 80029906. That said, I saw this post on AICN from Moriarty ....apparently he also got hit by the BDL problem. He had the console repaired by Sony, and when he got his replacement, he was hit by another problem: he encountered an issue while updating his PS3, causing his system to get bricked. So now he's had two broken PS3s in a row, and the system has lost his recommendation as a blu-ray player system of choice for consumers: "Regarding Moriarty’s Awesome Non-Stop Blu-Ray Coverage... Or Lack Thereof! Dear Sony... Y’know, some days it doesn’t pay to be a movie fan. I’ve done tons of DVD coverage over the years here at AICN, and it’s funny... I’ve heard some people actually say, “But yo

Gamers based in the Philippines: How to get in Xbox Live

NOTE: This article has recently been updated (as of August 12, 2006). Singapore no longer lets you input '00000' as your zip code. Please see below for alternate zip codes. So you're a Filipino living in the Philippines with a brand-spanking new Xbox 360. You've heard about all the wonderful stories on Xbox Live. You happen to have a pretty good broadband connection. One day, you try out the Xbox Live sign-up options on your 360, and you find out to your dismay that your country is NOT listed. What do you do? Now, you can probably enjoy your 360 without live at all, but I have to tell you: YOU ARE MISSING OUT. As Peter Moore said in the recent MS Press Conference: "Having your 360 connected to Xbox Live is as vital as having your computer connected to the Internet". He is so damned right. I've been playing on Xbox Live for almost a year now (both on my original Xbox and the Xbox 360). Essentially I found out all of this with a little bit of research, a lit

Lost Odyssey Theme Song - "What You Are" by Sheena Easton

I've uploaded the theme song for Lost Odyssey in YouTube. Check out the video below: At first, I wasn't so into the song but when I heard it in full it grows on you. The song is actually quite beautiful. It was sung by Sheena Easton. With the lyrics from Hironobu Sakaguchi and the composition by Nobuo Uematsu. Very moving song, specially once you understand the lyrics. Below are the lyrics for the song "What You Are" by Sheena Easton When you touch me It feels just like a dream With the warmth that's in your eyes When you look at me I hear your voice beside me It whispers to me I can't hide how it makes me feel The shyness you see I may never Understand how deep it goes But I know how I feel What I hold deep in my heart There's just no way to stop this It's hopeless but true I feel this love More than anything So what more can I do You know I thought I would be much stronger than I am But then I feel the boldness that's inside my heart Just melt aw