Skip to main content

The Internet and its Culture of Negativity and Cynicism

To be objective on the Internet, you have to hate everything. Everything's cliche', everything's been done before, and don't easily be impressed.

That goes with every kind of interest group online. Movies, games, it doesn't matter. You're a 'fanboy' if you're easily impressed. You've got good taste when you're not.

Its moments like this when I think back to a time when the Internet wasn't around, and it's a whole lot easier to make up your mind about what you think about anything. To me it boils down to 'I like it', or 'I don't like it'. Now there's always the pervading force of "69% do like it" while "31% don't like it", and the pressure that asks you, "What's your taste like?". Implicitly, if you defy the convention and you like something that everyone else hates, you must be insane and should be cast out with monickers like 'Fanboy!' or whatever terminologies the Internet hive-mind has fabricated. If you go along with the crowd, it's a whole lot easier. So hating everything is usually the norm, on forums online.

I guess I could easily just succumb to this and decide to just go with the flow and think exactly how everyone else thinks, but that's not me. I carve my own path and make my choices and I don't really care what other people think. This approach probably won't make me rich or successful or whatever works for most people but at least I can sleep at night knowing that I'm my own person.

This is still a blog and I can still say what I think, so call it a deviation if you wish; it's just something I was thinking as I was perusing different forums on gaming. What stands out to me is the cynicism. I guess you can see that on forums with interests on whatever other things, I just wonder if they also use the term 'Fanboy!' for car fanatics, sports fanatics or other things that preoccupy our time. Perhaps it's just insecurity when someone starts labeling someone else as a fanboy; it's more an insult than constructive criticism. It's more of a reminder that, "Hey, you CAN'T like something that much, it's just wrong..." like you've committed some grave moral error and you'll go to some hellish place when you die for liking something so much. Personally I consider a fanboy as someone who would go to extreme lengths for his hobby, like dressing up as a character or buying an entire collection of collectibles of whatever....now that's a fanboy to me. But to have your own opinion, determination or belief about something....that's a fanboy now? There's no real definition for it on the Internet. It's the retort people choose when they've run out of things to say. Just resort to insults when you've got nothing left, that's what I usually see.

Anyway, having a blog is a Godsend, because, like in that old movie 'the Lawnmower Man' where Jobe says "I am GOD here!" in his virtual reality space, this is a place where I can post what I think and not get flamed for it. (See? Turned off comments. It's that simple!) I do know nothing will change even by posting this here, I guess I'm just venting my frustration at any kind of attempt at decent communication on the Internet. That said, these are just my thoughts, and now I feel much, much better.

Popular posts from this blog

More on PS3 Hardware Failures: AICN's Moriarty Hit By BDL

Earlier I posted about how the PS3 is no less susceptible to hardware problems. The issue was dubbed the 'BDL' (Blu-Ray Disc Laser problem) over on Pinoyxbox by the multi-console users in the community. You'd find a lot more information about this by searching for error 80010514 and 80029906. That said, I saw this post on AICN from Moriarty ....apparently he also got hit by the BDL problem. He had the console repaired by Sony, and when he got his replacement, he was hit by another problem: he encountered an issue while updating his PS3, causing his system to get bricked. So now he's had two broken PS3s in a row, and the system has lost his recommendation as a blu-ray player system of choice for consumers: "Regarding Moriarty’s Awesome Non-Stop Blu-Ray Coverage... Or Lack Thereof! Dear Sony... Y’know, some days it doesn’t pay to be a movie fan. I’ve done tons of DVD coverage over the years here at AICN, and it’s funny... I’ve heard some people actually say, “But yo

Gamers based in the Philippines: How to get in Xbox Live

NOTE: This article has recently been updated (as of August 12, 2006). Singapore no longer lets you input '00000' as your zip code. Please see below for alternate zip codes. So you're a Filipino living in the Philippines with a brand-spanking new Xbox 360. You've heard about all the wonderful stories on Xbox Live. You happen to have a pretty good broadband connection. One day, you try out the Xbox Live sign-up options on your 360, and you find out to your dismay that your country is NOT listed. What do you do? Now, you can probably enjoy your 360 without live at all, but I have to tell you: YOU ARE MISSING OUT. As Peter Moore said in the recent MS Press Conference: "Having your 360 connected to Xbox Live is as vital as having your computer connected to the Internet". He is so damned right. I've been playing on Xbox Live for almost a year now (both on my original Xbox and the Xbox 360). Essentially I found out all of this with a little bit of research, a lit

Lost Odyssey Theme Song - "What You Are" by Sheena Easton

I've uploaded the theme song for Lost Odyssey in YouTube. Check out the video below: At first, I wasn't so into the song but when I heard it in full it grows on you. The song is actually quite beautiful. It was sung by Sheena Easton. With the lyrics from Hironobu Sakaguchi and the composition by Nobuo Uematsu. Very moving song, specially once you understand the lyrics. Below are the lyrics for the song "What You Are" by Sheena Easton When you touch me It feels just like a dream With the warmth that's in your eyes When you look at me I hear your voice beside me It whispers to me I can't hide how it makes me feel The shyness you see I may never Understand how deep it goes But I know how I feel What I hold deep in my heart There's just no way to stop this It's hopeless but true I feel this love More than anything So what more can I do You know I thought I would be much stronger than I am But then I feel the boldness that's inside my heart Just melt aw