Skip to main content

Capcom's "MT Framework" Engine - Bravo! Magnificent!


Just finished Devil May Cry 4 on Devil Hunter difficulty. I enjoyed the action a lot; I found it smooth and easy to play while at times providing a fair enough challenge to keep things interesting! The story is very standard but I guess the question is, was I entertained? And the answer is yes.

Now this isn't really a full review of DMC4, I just wanted to say this: Capcom's "MT Framework" Game Engine is absolutely fantastic. I think it's even better than EPIC GAMES' UNREAL ENGINE 3. Yes, I've probably lost my mind, but that's the conclusion I've arrived at after playing three of Capcom's latest games in recent years: Dead Rising, Lost Planet, and now Devil May Cry 4.

I just want to keep this short, so I'll just say a few things about Capcom's fantastic engine:

1. The quality I'm seeing [on their Xbox 360 games] is just so consistent. Their engine barely chugs through whatever the game designers throw at it, be it snow-filled science fiction landscapes, realistic environments (like the mall in Dead Rising), or the anime-styled environments of DMC4. Fantastic!

2. Capcom's game engine handles both gameplay segments and cutscenes extremely well, and again, very consistently. Epic's UE3 seems to struggle through rendering cutscenes, as seen in games like Mass Effect and Gears of War. There are always areas where there's slowdown with the framerate or tearing. Admittedly I have seen a bit of tearing on Capcom's games but compared to UE3 games? Relatively speaking, I've seen more problems on UE3.

And, in some cases, MT Framework cutscenes look like CGI. Not only does Capcom save space on the disc, they're able to keep the immersion factor high because the player is always 'in-the-game'. It seems to me that every shot in the cutscenes is equal in quality to the graphics in actual gameplay.

3. Colors on Capcom's engine seem more bright and vibrant. I like how it makes Capcom's games more pleasing to the eye. UE3's problem seems to be that it loves to render the color grey a whole lot. (I'm reminded of how ID Software's engines love to render the color brown, but that's a totally different discussion....). Everything in UE3 has a greyed out look that washes over all the other colors in a scene. Capcom's game engine never has this problem.

Overall, Capcom, how did you guys do this??? If anyone from Capcom is reading this, I think you guys should sell your engine as middleware to other Japanese companies and help save the gaming industry in Japan! The MT Framework game engine is just fantastic, and can clearly compete with the best the West has to offer. I really think in some cases it surpasses Unreal Engine 3, and a lot of games in various types of genres (action, adventure, RPGs, shooters etc) can really benefit from the capabilities of Capcom's game engine.

Alright enough raving for tonight. Man, I really had fun with DMC4. Unfortunately I didn't 'win' the final challenge where you have 2 minutes and no demon has to attack Kyrie. I wonder if there's a bonus for accomplishing that one?

Popular posts from this blog

More on PS3 Hardware Failures: AICN's Moriarty Hit By BDL

Earlier I posted about how the PS3 is no less susceptible to hardware problems. The issue was dubbed the 'BDL' (Blu-Ray Disc Laser problem) over on Pinoyxbox by the multi-console users in the community. You'd find a lot more information about this by searching for error 80010514 and 80029906. That said, I saw this post on AICN from Moriarty ....apparently he also got hit by the BDL problem. He had the console repaired by Sony, and when he got his replacement, he was hit by another problem: he encountered an issue while updating his PS3, causing his system to get bricked. So now he's had two broken PS3s in a row, and the system has lost his recommendation as a blu-ray player system of choice for consumers: "Regarding Moriarty’s Awesome Non-Stop Blu-Ray Coverage... Or Lack Thereof! Dear Sony... Y’know, some days it doesn’t pay to be a movie fan. I’ve done tons of DVD coverage over the years here at AICN, and it’s funny... I’ve heard some people actually say, “But yo

Lost Odyssey Theme Song - "What You Are" by Sheena Easton

I've uploaded the theme song for Lost Odyssey in YouTube. Check out the video below: At first, I wasn't so into the song but when I heard it in full it grows on you. The song is actually quite beautiful. It was sung by Sheena Easton. With the lyrics from Hironobu Sakaguchi and the composition by Nobuo Uematsu. Very moving song, specially once you understand the lyrics. Below are the lyrics for the song "What You Are" by Sheena Easton When you touch me It feels just like a dream With the warmth that's in your eyes When you look at me I hear your voice beside me It whispers to me I can't hide how it makes me feel The shyness you see I may never Understand how deep it goes But I know how I feel What I hold deep in my heart There's just no way to stop this It's hopeless but true I feel this love More than anything So what more can I do You know I thought I would be much stronger than I am But then I feel the boldness that's inside my heart Just melt aw

Gamers based in the Philippines: How to get in Xbox Live

NOTE: This article has recently been updated (as of August 12, 2006). Singapore no longer lets you input '00000' as your zip code. Please see below for alternate zip codes. So you're a Filipino living in the Philippines with a brand-spanking new Xbox 360. You've heard about all the wonderful stories on Xbox Live. You happen to have a pretty good broadband connection. One day, you try out the Xbox Live sign-up options on your 360, and you find out to your dismay that your country is NOT listed. What do you do? Now, you can probably enjoy your 360 without live at all, but I have to tell you: YOU ARE MISSING OUT. As Peter Moore said in the recent MS Press Conference: "Having your 360 connected to Xbox Live is as vital as having your computer connected to the Internet". He is so damned right. I've been playing on Xbox Live for almost a year now (both on my original Xbox and the Xbox 360). Essentially I found out all of this with a little bit of research, a lit