Skip to main content

The Playstation 3 Hard Drive Upgrade Experience (Tips and Tricks included)

It turns out we have this spare laptop HDD lying around the house (dated 2006!) which is compatible with our newly purchased PS3. It's an 80GB Hitachi Laptop SATA drive. The space isn't much by today's standards, but compared to the 40GB that's already being eaten away by the PS3's constant patching and game installations, we thought that putting the old 80GB drive into the PS3 was a viable option.

At first, I thought that the installation of a new hard drive to the PS3 might be complicated, but I found out that it wasn't. I watched this video on Youtube and was surprised (actually, AMAZED) at how easy it is to put in a new hard drive for the PS3:



I was even more amazed at the fact that I could just use *any* laptop SATA drive available in most computer stores locally, to upgrade this PS3's hard drive; it was just so convenient, and inexpensive :)

So I eagerly opened the PS3's HDD Drive bay. Our PS3 is a newer model than the one in the video, so the insides of the HDD bay was a little different from what is shown in the video. I was initially daunted but when I actually got around to getting the drive out, it was really, really simple, and I think the newer PS3 that we have provides an even easier (note: more idiot-proof!) method for replacing the HDD. It doesn't have that metal tab that you have to pull up and slide to the right. Instead, you remove the blue screw, raise the thing held down by the screw, and there you have it....the HDD is easily removed.

Don't forget to back up all your game saves! We had a game save of Little Big Planet already in progress in the HDD. For some reason, when I used the backup utility in the PS3, it was saying I needed 2 GB of space in my flash drive to back up my data. I simply selected every single game in the GAME - Saved Data menu and selected the option to copy each save to my flash drive. That way, I'm able to individually select the files that I really needed (my LBP saves). The other stuff must have been game patches, or installation files from the other games on the system.

Anyway, going back to this whole HDD upgrade experience, we encountered a problem after installing the hard drive where the PS3 would look for the system update on the drive. If you're changing hard drives AFTER downloading update 2.53, don't forget to download the PS3's latest patch on the Playstation website. Since our PS3 is Asian, I got the update from here:
http://asia.playstation.com/hk/en/support/p/updateMethod_PS3 .

I remember reading a long time ago that you have to be careful with PS3 updates; if you've got a US PS3, get the US update. If you've got an Asian PS3, get the Asian update.

Now, after getting the update, I followed the onscreen instructions on the PS3, while the PS3 2.53 update was on a 1GB flash drive that I had. I was able to format the 80GB drive (although there was a slight glitch where the system didn't see my flash drive. I simply pulled out the flash drive, put it back in, and then the PS3 detected it again). A few minutes later, I had the new 80 GB drive working again! I was surprised at how relatively simple (and painless) the whole process was.

Now I had a spare laptop drive (40GB) which I got from the PS3 itself. I bought an enclosure from CDR-King in SM Megamall (220 pesos only) and put the drive in there. At first, I formatted the drive in Windows Vista, so I ended up getting a drive with NTFS. The PS3 couldn't find my new portable drive, and after doing a bit of research (Google is really useful) I found out that the file format for your portable drive had to be Fat32. After even more research I found a way to force-format the portable hard drive to Fat32. Simply use this program named Fat32Format, which I found here:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-Disk-Utils/FAT32format.shtml

Follow the instructions on the page to format your drive. This should give you a drive that's compatible with both your PS3 and your Windows-based PC (and other platforms).

To test the connectivity of the PS3 with my new portable drive, I copied a video, which was in DivX format, to the HDD. I was able to play the video by choosing the portable device in 'Videos' on the PS3, and then pressing Triangle to show all the files on the drive. I chose the DivX file, and then, it played successfully.

Not only do I get an upgraded hard drive on my PS3; I also get a spare one for storing other files and streaming them (via the PS3) to my HDTV. Nice, nifty, and useful :)

Popular posts from this blog

More on PS3 Hardware Failures: AICN's Moriarty Hit By BDL

Earlier I posted about how the PS3 is no less susceptible to hardware problems. The issue was dubbed the 'BDL' (Blu-Ray Disc Laser problem) over on Pinoyxbox by the multi-console users in the community. You'd find a lot more information about this by searching for error 80010514 and 80029906. That said, I saw this post on AICN from Moriarty ....apparently he also got hit by the BDL problem. He had the console repaired by Sony, and when he got his replacement, he was hit by another problem: he encountered an issue while updating his PS3, causing his system to get bricked. So now he's had two broken PS3s in a row, and the system has lost his recommendation as a blu-ray player system of choice for consumers: "Regarding Moriarty’s Awesome Non-Stop Blu-Ray Coverage... Or Lack Thereof! Dear Sony... Y’know, some days it doesn’t pay to be a movie fan. I’ve done tons of DVD coverage over the years here at AICN, and it’s funny... I’ve heard some people actually say, “But yo

Lost Odyssey Theme Song - "What You Are" by Sheena Easton

I've uploaded the theme song for Lost Odyssey in YouTube. Check out the video below: At first, I wasn't so into the song but when I heard it in full it grows on you. The song is actually quite beautiful. It was sung by Sheena Easton. With the lyrics from Hironobu Sakaguchi and the composition by Nobuo Uematsu. Very moving song, specially once you understand the lyrics. Below are the lyrics for the song "What You Are" by Sheena Easton When you touch me It feels just like a dream With the warmth that's in your eyes When you look at me I hear your voice beside me It whispers to me I can't hide how it makes me feel The shyness you see I may never Understand how deep it goes But I know how I feel What I hold deep in my heart There's just no way to stop this It's hopeless but true I feel this love More than anything So what more can I do You know I thought I would be much stronger than I am But then I feel the boldness that's inside my heart Just melt aw

Gamers based in the Philippines: How to get in Xbox Live

NOTE: This article has recently been updated (as of August 12, 2006). Singapore no longer lets you input '00000' as your zip code. Please see below for alternate zip codes. So you're a Filipino living in the Philippines with a brand-spanking new Xbox 360. You've heard about all the wonderful stories on Xbox Live. You happen to have a pretty good broadband connection. One day, you try out the Xbox Live sign-up options on your 360, and you find out to your dismay that your country is NOT listed. What do you do? Now, you can probably enjoy your 360 without live at all, but I have to tell you: YOU ARE MISSING OUT. As Peter Moore said in the recent MS Press Conference: "Having your 360 connected to Xbox Live is as vital as having your computer connected to the Internet". He is so damned right. I've been playing on Xbox Live for almost a year now (both on my original Xbox and the Xbox 360). Essentially I found out all of this with a little bit of research, a lit