Skip to main content

GEARS OF WAR 2 : Buckets of Awesome


After spending more than an hour playing Gears of War 2, trying out both its single player and multiplayer modes, I can only think of one thing to say: this game is, quite literally, buckets of awesome. It's that rare game that comes along after several years that you won't easily forget. Gears of War 2 seems to have improved on many of the original's faults. Take, for instance, the cutscenes. One thing notable from the first game is how the cinematics were really choppy, and this really affected the immersion factor. For Gears 2, the cinematics are now really, really smooth; they continue to be real time which improves the immersion but because they're smoother, they're a nice bonus to look forward to when you complete some single player challenges.

Other improvements are more subtle but they're definitely there: gameplay is tighter, the user-interface does a better job of telling you what's going on, and co-op play is implemented more smoothly than it was in the first game. GOW2 is so well polished, and it never feels like a rehash. Presentation-wise, the game screams quality, from the menus to the actual gameplay; the sound effects and music have been beefed up, and when the action gets really heated, the game is a cinematic spectacle. It's cinematic not in the sense that you're sitting there watching in-game cutscenes all the time; it's cinematic because you, the player, seem to be put in a lot of in-game scenarios that feel like something out of a action-packed, special-effects laden, big-budget Hollywood blockbuster.

As for multiplayer, I spent so much time on my first playthrough just enjoying the new HORDE mode cooperatively with my wife. For veteran gamers you'd probably see HORDE mode as essentially GOW2 with bots; but it's the type of 'bot mode' that has never been done right on PC games. There are things on Horde Mode that make it more enjoyable to play over and over again, things like scoring and multipliers which make each run more unique. And it's just something else to play this mode with a friend; once you've finished playing co-op in the single player mode, you have something else to do thanks to Horde Mode.

Later on, the friendly players from Pinoyxbox invited me online to a HORDE mode multiplayer match, and I was really surprised to see that the netcode of the game seems to have been improved dramatically. It's not yet at the level of Halo 3 in terms of feeling 'lag free' but it does feel tighter and making sense of how lag affects your shots is easier to perceive. HORDE mode with four other guys is really enjoyable; it's something else. After a few rounds of the new game mode, there's no denying how much replay value multiplayer can put into a game like Gears of War 2. I've read in other places that some people who have finished it think it is not that long of a game....I can't say yet because I did not rush through the single player campaign (I just picked up the game yesterday). I will say, though, that this game is best experienced as a COMPLETE package when you play BOTH single-player and multiplayer. With multiplayer modes, it's clear to me that this game will last for months on end---you don't measure Gears of War 2 play time in hours, but in months. While playing Horde mode I noticed that some players on my list had some kind of online ranking already, which I suppose they've garnered through multiplayer mode. That just increases the game's value immensely; you haven't played Gears of War 2 until you've experienced everything that the game has to offer out-of-the-box.

The Gears series was built from the ground up for the Xbox 360 platform; there's that story online which says that the reason why the 360 has 512MB of RAM as opposed to 256MB like the PS3 is because Epic Games really lobbied for it, so they can put in large textures for the graphics. It may have made the console more expensive at the outset, but Gears of War 2 really makes you see the benefit of that early decision. I can't think of an Xbox 360 game right now which can stand toe-to-toe with Gears 2 in terms of graphical fidelity. The one effect which I kept on noticing in the new game is how the graphics still look great even if the camera zooms in on a character. In other games, the textures on a character's body seems to lose detail and you can see how it's really just one simple texture. In Gears 2 they seem to be implementing this new effect where, if the camera is close to an in-game object, you see a more detailed set of textures on the object. The way that happens is so smoothly done, I barely notice the transition but I do see how detail increases when the camera zooms in on someone or something in a game. It's one of those rare effects that I haven't seen implemented in other games, whether first person or third person.

If a game really impresses me, I can't stop writing about it. Gears of War 2 is one of those rare games which you could talk about endlessly with fellow gamers. For veteran/hardcore gamers, Gears of War 2 is exactly what the doctor ordered.

Popular posts from this blog

More on PS3 Hardware Failures: AICN's Moriarty Hit By BDL

Earlier I posted about how the PS3 is no less susceptible to hardware problems. The issue was dubbed the 'BDL' (Blu-Ray Disc Laser problem) over on Pinoyxbox by the multi-console users in the community. You'd find a lot more information about this by searching for error 80010514 and 80029906. That said, I saw this post on AICN from Moriarty ....apparently he also got hit by the BDL problem. He had the console repaired by Sony, and when he got his replacement, he was hit by another problem: he encountered an issue while updating his PS3, causing his system to get bricked. So now he's had two broken PS3s in a row, and the system has lost his recommendation as a blu-ray player system of choice for consumers: "Regarding Moriarty’s Awesome Non-Stop Blu-Ray Coverage... Or Lack Thereof! Dear Sony... Y’know, some days it doesn’t pay to be a movie fan. I’ve done tons of DVD coverage over the years here at AICN, and it’s funny... I’ve heard some people actually say, “But yo

Lost Odyssey Theme Song - "What You Are" by Sheena Easton

I've uploaded the theme song for Lost Odyssey in YouTube. Check out the video below: At first, I wasn't so into the song but when I heard it in full it grows on you. The song is actually quite beautiful. It was sung by Sheena Easton. With the lyrics from Hironobu Sakaguchi and the composition by Nobuo Uematsu. Very moving song, specially once you understand the lyrics. Below are the lyrics for the song "What You Are" by Sheena Easton When you touch me It feels just like a dream With the warmth that's in your eyes When you look at me I hear your voice beside me It whispers to me I can't hide how it makes me feel The shyness you see I may never Understand how deep it goes But I know how I feel What I hold deep in my heart There's just no way to stop this It's hopeless but true I feel this love More than anything So what more can I do You know I thought I would be much stronger than I am But then I feel the boldness that's inside my heart Just melt aw

Gamers based in the Philippines: How to get in Xbox Live

NOTE: This article has recently been updated (as of August 12, 2006). Singapore no longer lets you input '00000' as your zip code. Please see below for alternate zip codes. So you're a Filipino living in the Philippines with a brand-spanking new Xbox 360. You've heard about all the wonderful stories on Xbox Live. You happen to have a pretty good broadband connection. One day, you try out the Xbox Live sign-up options on your 360, and you find out to your dismay that your country is NOT listed. What do you do? Now, you can probably enjoy your 360 without live at all, but I have to tell you: YOU ARE MISSING OUT. As Peter Moore said in the recent MS Press Conference: "Having your 360 connected to Xbox Live is as vital as having your computer connected to the Internet". He is so damned right. I've been playing on Xbox Live for almost a year now (both on my original Xbox and the Xbox 360). Essentially I found out all of this with a little bit of research, a lit