Skip to main content

Xbox 360: The Long Wait Begins

As reported previously we were able to acquire some xbox 360 games ahead of the console itself:

1. Perfect Dark Zero
2. Project Gotham Racing 3
3. Call of Duty 2

We got those games at pretty decent prices. The only problem now is the console itself. Because of the horrendous shortage that is occuring worldwide, we are unable to find a console from the games importer that sells units here. Normally the games importer is able to get consoles/units easily, but with the 360 it has been quite a challenge because of the high demand...or the possibly orchestrated shortage by Microsoft. (Who knows, right? Microsoft is still a business, and they want to make money...and having a shortage is a great way to generate buzz, as shown by Sony with their PS2 in the past.). Whichever of the two things it is, one thing is certain. It's gonna be a long time before I even get to play the games that I got for the 360. So all I get to do is stare at the box and imagine what it must be like to go next-gen....

I made this post at http://blogs.msdn.com/xbox/ , it summarizes what I think is the real cause of this current shortage of 360s: EBAY scalpers. Here's my full post:

"In my humble opinion, it's Ebay that's causing the problem. You have people who aren't gamers who are able to acquire units faster than the average consumer. Some of the people on Ebay are taking advantage of the fact that they work at a retail chain and buy from the store as soon as the console is shipped --and THEN sell it on Ebay for a hefty profit! How does the average gamer COMPETE with that???

There are guys on Ebay with more stocks than the retail stores, it's unbelievable. I just saw one guy selling over 25 PREMIUM units. Walking into a store, you can barely see that many...the most I've seen is five or six premiums and several cores; and then you have a guy on ebay selling 25 PREMIUMS?! How is that even possible?!!



And now the EBAY people are controlling YOUR prices. They set the price to nearly double or triple what the price should be, and that makes it much harder to get a console.

I know we live in an age where things like Ebay (internet auctions etc) are a part of our everyday lives but to me i find it ridiculous that Microsoft can't ask Ebay nicely to disallow the selling of Xbox 360s there until the holidays end. I mean, if Microsoft can stop the selling of pirated software or any other merchandise, I can't see why Microsoft can't put a stop to the listing of xbox 360s by scalpers who are a large part of the shortage problem that exists in the market today. This trend is seriously detrimental to your business and I can imagine Sony must be observing how you guys are having a hard time dealing with this and may take advantage of it later.

Perhaps there are some on your team that consider the whole Ebay thing to actually be a positive trend because it gives the impression that the 360 is very popular at this time. In my humble opinion, i disagree with that notion because the window of opportunity for microsoft to capture gamers is getting smaller and smaller as the holiday season goes by. Right now it seems to me that Microsoft is capturing Ebay retailers/entrepreneurs/opportunists/scalpers more than gamers! And those guys will only end up returning the consoles to the retailers when the holidays end and when they are unable to sell them anymore on Ebay. When that happens, interest will have died down, because the holidays have ended and people will have put their money somewhere else.

When the holiday season ends and people are still unable to get a 360 because of the high price, people will simply look to the future and wait for there to be choices. And that's NOT a situation that Microsoft would like to be in if they want to dominate the market. They have to get units to gamers THIS SEASON; January 2006 isn't going to cut it, and if Ebay is not stopped, MS *will* be in second place to Sony.

Anyway, good luck to you guys. Although I am a patient person and I CAN wait for the 360 to become more available, I am very worried about how Ebay is going to affect the ability of gamers to acquire a console during the holiday season. It also saddens me that none of the feedback from MS really addresses the whole 360 scalping situation; you guys are just letting this sort of activity go unchecked. Once again, this is a big factor that is one of the causes of the current shortage and I suggest that other than getting boxes to the USA quickly, that something be done about Ebay or online auctions in general that are basically hurting your business."


That's my post. Pretty much summarizes how I feel about the whole 360 shortage and how Microsoft is basically letting it happen.

* * *

Whatever happened to the value of 'The Golden Rule'?


Confucianism: One word which sums up the basis for all good conduct...loving kindness. Do not do to others what you would not want done to yourself.
-- Confucius Analects 15:23


In almost every xbox forum that I've been to, xbox gamers themselves defend the practice of selling consoles on Ebay, saying that it's capitalism, there's nothing wrong with profiteering from the current 360 craze. IMHO all that matters to people nowadays is making money and getting one over someone else...how about those who are unable to get a console? They're simply forced to accept the fact that they have to pay so much for something whose value is not that high to begin with? Not everyone has the patience to wait at 5am at the stores every day to get a console. And how do you compete with those who have such an incredible advantage (store employees, people who are dedicated Ebayers, etc.)? Just bite the bullet and pay over a thousand dollars for something that isn't really worth that much?

What saddens me is that Microsoft seems to be okay with this...they care more about buzz and less about the ethics of this scalping practice...

Popular posts from this blog

More on PS3 Hardware Failures: AICN's Moriarty Hit By BDL

Earlier I posted about how the PS3 is no less susceptible to hardware problems. The issue was dubbed the 'BDL' (Blu-Ray Disc Laser problem) over on Pinoyxbox by the multi-console users in the community. You'd find a lot more information about this by searching for error 80010514 and 80029906. That said, I saw this post on AICN from Moriarty ....apparently he also got hit by the BDL problem. He had the console repaired by Sony, and when he got his replacement, he was hit by another problem: he encountered an issue while updating his PS3, causing his system to get bricked. So now he's had two broken PS3s in a row, and the system has lost his recommendation as a blu-ray player system of choice for consumers: "Regarding Moriarty’s Awesome Non-Stop Blu-Ray Coverage... Or Lack Thereof! Dear Sony... Y’know, some days it doesn’t pay to be a movie fan. I’ve done tons of DVD coverage over the years here at AICN, and it’s funny... I’ve heard some people actually say, “But yo

Gamers based in the Philippines: How to get in Xbox Live

NOTE: This article has recently been updated (as of August 12, 2006). Singapore no longer lets you input '00000' as your zip code. Please see below for alternate zip codes. So you're a Filipino living in the Philippines with a brand-spanking new Xbox 360. You've heard about all the wonderful stories on Xbox Live. You happen to have a pretty good broadband connection. One day, you try out the Xbox Live sign-up options on your 360, and you find out to your dismay that your country is NOT listed. What do you do? Now, you can probably enjoy your 360 without live at all, but I have to tell you: YOU ARE MISSING OUT. As Peter Moore said in the recent MS Press Conference: "Having your 360 connected to Xbox Live is as vital as having your computer connected to the Internet". He is so damned right. I've been playing on Xbox Live for almost a year now (both on my original Xbox and the Xbox 360). Essentially I found out all of this with a little bit of research, a lit

Lost Odyssey Theme Song - "What You Are" by Sheena Easton

I've uploaded the theme song for Lost Odyssey in YouTube. Check out the video below: At first, I wasn't so into the song but when I heard it in full it grows on you. The song is actually quite beautiful. It was sung by Sheena Easton. With the lyrics from Hironobu Sakaguchi and the composition by Nobuo Uematsu. Very moving song, specially once you understand the lyrics. Below are the lyrics for the song "What You Are" by Sheena Easton When you touch me It feels just like a dream With the warmth that's in your eyes When you look at me I hear your voice beside me It whispers to me I can't hide how it makes me feel The shyness you see I may never Understand how deep it goes But I know how I feel What I hold deep in my heart There's just no way to stop this It's hopeless but true I feel this love More than anything So what more can I do You know I thought I would be much stronger than I am But then I feel the boldness that's inside my heart Just melt aw