Skip to main content

The Greatest Online Ridge Racer 6 Race, Ever.

I just had. The. Greatest. Online. Ridge Racer 6. Race. Ever.

...Ever.

Rave City Riverfront R, class 4. I'm driving a meltfire in 10th place at the starting grid. I was the last car so I thought I had no chance in hell of winning.



Three laps into it, I manage to get to sixth place. I apparently saved up enough nitrous for a triple down the final stretch. In the distance can be seen five cars, all switching positions rapidly and boosting for the finish line. Little did I know that a car behind me launches a triple nitrous in an attempt to improve his position. Unfortunately for him, he hits my car as it goes down the final tunnel. The impact causes my car to nearly spin out; I struggled to maintain control of the car and ensure that it does not scrape into the wall.

In the distance, the race looks decided. One car emerges from the pack and can be seen to have taken a commanding lead over the other four, who are still bumping and scraping for second place. I thought the race was over.

Looking at my speedometer, I noticed something I have never seen before.



My speed was 455 KPH, even without boost. Note that the maximum for a Class 4 car is about 385 KPH.

And the speedometer was still increasing in speed, gradually.

456...

457...

458...

Holy crap, how is that possible?, I thought in bewilderment.

Apparently, the impact from the car that hit me earlier on was so strong that my car was still reeling from his triple boost. Time literally slowed at this point, because I realized I had a triple nitrous boost ready to launch.

The final ramp was approaching rapidly. The four other cars were still far enough from me, so i could boost without hitting them, since the ramp will definitely launch my car into the air. There is a very small gap between the end of the tunnel and the finish line.

I hit the triple nitrous.

BOOM.

My car goes well beyond 450+ kph, but i couldnt keep track of it anymore. I had to make sure that I didnt hit the other four cars blocking the road before my car launches into the air. Before I knew it, I was airborne.

I had no idea how this race would turn out. My position reading said I was still in sixth place.

6.

5.4.3.2....

At this moment I was still airborne.

It takes half a second more, before my position reading changes from 2nd, to 1st.

I won the race in mid air, by a nose.

My car landed eventually, right in front of the lead car.

This victory resulted in a lot of adrenaline rushing through my entire body. I was jumping up and down in my room; I couldn't believe that I won that race! I couldn't believe the chain of events that led to my victory! It was one of the most satisfying online game matches I've ever played. Ever.

Normally i don't wear a headset while racing, because what is there to be said anyway while you're playing a racing game? Trash talking isnt my thing. But I was sooo thrilled by the result of the race that I grabbed my headset and started hooting and hollering, thanking everyone else for playing a great race. I knew everyone in the room was japanese so i could have used my really bad japanese training to tell them that I had an incredible time. But I didnt want to make a fool of myself, so I just said in english: "Good game, guys! Good game!!!!"

To which, two japanese guys wearing headsets calmly replied:

"Hai.".

I gave everyone involved in that race positive feedback, for racing with me and letting me experience an incredible online victory.

Popular posts from this blog

More on PS3 Hardware Failures: AICN's Moriarty Hit By BDL

Earlier I posted about how the PS3 is no less susceptible to hardware problems. The issue was dubbed the 'BDL' (Blu-Ray Disc Laser problem) over on Pinoyxbox by the multi-console users in the community. You'd find a lot more information about this by searching for error 80010514 and 80029906. That said, I saw this post on AICN from Moriarty ....apparently he also got hit by the BDL problem. He had the console repaired by Sony, and when he got his replacement, he was hit by another problem: he encountered an issue while updating his PS3, causing his system to get bricked. So now he's had two broken PS3s in a row, and the system has lost his recommendation as a blu-ray player system of choice for consumers: "Regarding Moriarty’s Awesome Non-Stop Blu-Ray Coverage... Or Lack Thereof! Dear Sony... Y’know, some days it doesn’t pay to be a movie fan. I’ve done tons of DVD coverage over the years here at AICN, and it’s funny... I’ve heard some people actually say, “But yo

Lost Odyssey Theme Song - "What You Are" by Sheena Easton

I've uploaded the theme song for Lost Odyssey in YouTube. Check out the video below: At first, I wasn't so into the song but when I heard it in full it grows on you. The song is actually quite beautiful. It was sung by Sheena Easton. With the lyrics from Hironobu Sakaguchi and the composition by Nobuo Uematsu. Very moving song, specially once you understand the lyrics. Below are the lyrics for the song "What You Are" by Sheena Easton When you touch me It feels just like a dream With the warmth that's in your eyes When you look at me I hear your voice beside me It whispers to me I can't hide how it makes me feel The shyness you see I may never Understand how deep it goes But I know how I feel What I hold deep in my heart There's just no way to stop this It's hopeless but true I feel this love More than anything So what more can I do You know I thought I would be much stronger than I am But then I feel the boldness that's inside my heart Just melt aw

Gamers based in the Philippines: How to get in Xbox Live

NOTE: This article has recently been updated (as of August 12, 2006). Singapore no longer lets you input '00000' as your zip code. Please see below for alternate zip codes. So you're a Filipino living in the Philippines with a brand-spanking new Xbox 360. You've heard about all the wonderful stories on Xbox Live. You happen to have a pretty good broadband connection. One day, you try out the Xbox Live sign-up options on your 360, and you find out to your dismay that your country is NOT listed. What do you do? Now, you can probably enjoy your 360 without live at all, but I have to tell you: YOU ARE MISSING OUT. As Peter Moore said in the recent MS Press Conference: "Having your 360 connected to Xbox Live is as vital as having your computer connected to the Internet". He is so damned right. I've been playing on Xbox Live for almost a year now (both on my original Xbox and the Xbox 360). Essentially I found out all of this with a little bit of research, a lit