Skip to main content

DmC: I think gamers owe Ninja Theory an apology

I've been playing DmC for the past few days and I think it's a fantastic action game.

I don't know how Ninja Theory could have prevented the backlash they got for rebooting the franchise....there was really no demand that the Devil May Cry series be redone. That said I've played a big portion of their game and I came to the conclusion that everyone who mocked them originally should apologize, and eat a big plate of crow.

The last DMC game I know of, DMC4, sold pretty well. I remember I didn't like how the previous game made you fight the same bosses over and over, and the story was pretty bad, too. In DmC, the story is quite well told, and the cutscenes were alright. I didn't find anything really cringe-worthy; yeah the new game loves to use the 'F' word but it was OK in the context of what was going on. There's also some sort of 'love story' i think, but it isn't as unbearable as DMC4's. Also, I love how creative they were with the morphing levels, the enemies, and how each level has some sort of 'theme' that makes them all different and memorable.

This is a great action game; I'd say it's one of the best. I'd rank its gameplay as better than the Batman Arkham series, slightly better than Ninja Gaiden 2's, and way better than DMC4's. Slightly better than Bayonetta (I think this way, because it's easier to do stuff in DmC than in that game) Full disclosure: I never played DMC1, 2 and 3 so I can't compare it to those. But generally I really enjoyed how smooth it all was, and if I didn't know it was made in the West I would have thought it was a Japanese game with some western art sensibilities. The gameplay is just so fluid and interesting.

I don't think the game is long (I'm pretty sure I'm near the end now), it only took me a couple of days to get far....but despite that each level felt worth it, no ridiculous grind to speak of (I'm looking at you, Borderlands 2!). So for a guy like me who has work and family to worry about this is a great distraction to have at short intervals.

I hope Capcom will continue the series in the direction Ninja Theory has taken it. It's just far more creative, with a myth arc that can go deeper if they want to. I heard the game didn't sell as well as the previous game, which is not good news to me....I hope more gamers out there give good feedback for it, because it really is a great game, and in a world full of FPS clones and SWAT/Military shooters, DmC is a breath of fresh air.

Popular posts from this blog

More on PS3 Hardware Failures: AICN's Moriarty Hit By BDL

Earlier I posted about how the PS3 is no less susceptible to hardware problems. The issue was dubbed the 'BDL' (Blu-Ray Disc Laser problem) over on Pinoyxbox by the multi-console users in the community. You'd find a lot more information about this by searching for error 80010514 and 80029906. That said, I saw this post on AICN from Moriarty ....apparently he also got hit by the BDL problem. He had the console repaired by Sony, and when he got his replacement, he was hit by another problem: he encountered an issue while updating his PS3, causing his system to get bricked. So now he's had two broken PS3s in a row, and the system has lost his recommendation as a blu-ray player system of choice for consumers: "Regarding Moriarty’s Awesome Non-Stop Blu-Ray Coverage... Or Lack Thereof! Dear Sony... Y’know, some days it doesn’t pay to be a movie fan. I’ve done tons of DVD coverage over the years here at AICN, and it’s funny... I’ve heard some people actually say, “But yo

Gamers based in the Philippines: How to get in Xbox Live

NOTE: This article has recently been updated (as of August 12, 2006). Singapore no longer lets you input '00000' as your zip code. Please see below for alternate zip codes. So you're a Filipino living in the Philippines with a brand-spanking new Xbox 360. You've heard about all the wonderful stories on Xbox Live. You happen to have a pretty good broadband connection. One day, you try out the Xbox Live sign-up options on your 360, and you find out to your dismay that your country is NOT listed. What do you do? Now, you can probably enjoy your 360 without live at all, but I have to tell you: YOU ARE MISSING OUT. As Peter Moore said in the recent MS Press Conference: "Having your 360 connected to Xbox Live is as vital as having your computer connected to the Internet". He is so damned right. I've been playing on Xbox Live for almost a year now (both on my original Xbox and the Xbox 360). Essentially I found out all of this with a little bit of research, a lit

Lost Odyssey Theme Song - "What You Are" by Sheena Easton

I've uploaded the theme song for Lost Odyssey in YouTube. Check out the video below: At first, I wasn't so into the song but when I heard it in full it grows on you. The song is actually quite beautiful. It was sung by Sheena Easton. With the lyrics from Hironobu Sakaguchi and the composition by Nobuo Uematsu. Very moving song, specially once you understand the lyrics. Below are the lyrics for the song "What You Are" by Sheena Easton When you touch me It feels just like a dream With the warmth that's in your eyes When you look at me I hear your voice beside me It whispers to me I can't hide how it makes me feel The shyness you see I may never Understand how deep it goes But I know how I feel What I hold deep in my heart There's just no way to stop this It's hopeless but true I feel this love More than anything So what more can I do You know I thought I would be much stronger than I am But then I feel the boldness that's inside my heart Just melt aw