Skip to main content

How do you like your games? Over-easy or hard-boiled?

The thing that bugs me about game reviews today is the subjective view on game difficulty. When is a game too easy, and when is it too difficult?

Street Fighter II Hyper Fighting for Xbox Live Arcade got a lot of flack recently because the difficulty of the single player mode at three stars is just too hard---according to some people on forums and on reviews. Some people think the A.I. plays cheesily (relying on instant throws and no-charge moves). I took to task recently and played SF II HF single player a bit more.

Yes, it is true that the A.I. in that game is hard. But I don't think it's unfair. For one thing I am of the firm belief that A.I. just can't be as smart as people can. A.I. just can't predict people that well. So I think that, to some extent, game A.I. has to cheat. Why? Because it just can't be as good as people can.

If you're playing SFII HF and you think the A.I. is cheating on you or reading your moves, think for a second of how you're playing. I found out through a bit more of play time with the game that the A.I. is very keen on countering jump attacks. The best way to fight A.I. in SFII is to stay on the ground. The A.I. doesn't seem to react that well to you if you stay grounded. If you're using one of the 'uppercut brothers', stay on the ground and pull off a series of fireballs and dragon punches, or straight high kicks. A straight jump up and high kick can also confuse the A.I. pretty well.

It doesn't make the A.I. any easier, but playing in a different way will clearly show you that the A.I. isn't cheating. It still is pretty dumb. Combined with a bit of strategic play, SFII HF single player is not impossible. Use the training mode to practice special moves. Try to recall how to properly execute a combo. And remember, you can't air block in this version of SFII HF.

Another game that got a lot of negative press lately is Ninety Nine Nights. Right now I'm playing the game, and I can see why some people could 'hate' this game. It's feels very old school, similar to games like Golden Axe or Streets of Rage, except that it has hundreds of bad guys on screen at once. Some argue that the gameplay is repetitive. To an extent it is, but isn't that the very nature of ground based melee combat? Ever watched a medieval age war film? The fighting doesn't go beyond the loud grunts and swings and clanks of sword and steel. The repetitiveness is the point of N3; to enjoy it, you have to methodically find a way to reduce the enemies numbers quickly and without getting yourself killed. That's where good choice of combos comes in....also, proper positioning is on the battlefield is key. The game isn't that simple; it only seems simple if you overanalyze the fact that combos take only a few clicks of two buttons. Once you're in the carnage of a big battle, you'll be thankful that controlling the game is that easy. A few nicks here and there from the pawn soldiers in the game can make all the difference in the world once faced with a difficult boss character.

Oh, and the boss fights are nice. They're very tough. When I started out with N3, I balked at the idea that I had a BLOCK button in the game.

Later on, with the boss fights, the BLOCK button became my new best friend :)

Popular posts from this blog

More on PS3 Hardware Failures: AICN's Moriarty Hit By BDL

Earlier I posted about how the PS3 is no less susceptible to hardware problems. The issue was dubbed the 'BDL' (Blu-Ray Disc Laser problem) over on Pinoyxbox by the multi-console users in the community. You'd find a lot more information about this by searching for error 80010514 and 80029906. That said, I saw this post on AICN from Moriarty ....apparently he also got hit by the BDL problem. He had the console repaired by Sony, and when he got his replacement, he was hit by another problem: he encountered an issue while updating his PS3, causing his system to get bricked. So now he's had two broken PS3s in a row, and the system has lost his recommendation as a blu-ray player system of choice for consumers: "Regarding Moriarty’s Awesome Non-Stop Blu-Ray Coverage... Or Lack Thereof! Dear Sony... Y’know, some days it doesn’t pay to be a movie fan. I’ve done tons of DVD coverage over the years here at AICN, and it’s funny... I’ve heard some people actually say, “But yo

Lost Odyssey Theme Song - "What You Are" by Sheena Easton

I've uploaded the theme song for Lost Odyssey in YouTube. Check out the video below: At first, I wasn't so into the song but when I heard it in full it grows on you. The song is actually quite beautiful. It was sung by Sheena Easton. With the lyrics from Hironobu Sakaguchi and the composition by Nobuo Uematsu. Very moving song, specially once you understand the lyrics. Below are the lyrics for the song "What You Are" by Sheena Easton When you touch me It feels just like a dream With the warmth that's in your eyes When you look at me I hear your voice beside me It whispers to me I can't hide how it makes me feel The shyness you see I may never Understand how deep it goes But I know how I feel What I hold deep in my heart There's just no way to stop this It's hopeless but true I feel this love More than anything So what more can I do You know I thought I would be much stronger than I am But then I feel the boldness that's inside my heart Just melt aw

Gamers based in the Philippines: How to get in Xbox Live

NOTE: This article has recently been updated (as of August 12, 2006). Singapore no longer lets you input '00000' as your zip code. Please see below for alternate zip codes. So you're a Filipino living in the Philippines with a brand-spanking new Xbox 360. You've heard about all the wonderful stories on Xbox Live. You happen to have a pretty good broadband connection. One day, you try out the Xbox Live sign-up options on your 360, and you find out to your dismay that your country is NOT listed. What do you do? Now, you can probably enjoy your 360 without live at all, but I have to tell you: YOU ARE MISSING OUT. As Peter Moore said in the recent MS Press Conference: "Having your 360 connected to Xbox Live is as vital as having your computer connected to the Internet". He is so damned right. I've been playing on Xbox Live for almost a year now (both on my original Xbox and the Xbox 360). Essentially I found out all of this with a little bit of research, a lit