Skip to main content

For Honor: Incredible game! Writing this to the devs

For Honor is an incredible multiplayer game. It really feels like a whole new concept, and for the first time we're seeing an actual NEW IDEA for fighting games. And it's coming from Western developers Ubisoft.

There's a lot of great stuff in For Honor and I'm sure a lot of other bloggers/Youtubers have already covered them. I'm just going to write some constructive feedback for the devs so that maybe they can make the game even better than it already is....because by itself, it's a really, really good game. And, I have to say this again  - IT'S A GREAT FIGHTING GAME!

Requests

1) Please fix the disconnection bugs. If you can convince Ubisoft to switch to dedicated servers, that will really help this game keep its player base. Granted the P2P system you have is already quite good and generally works. But occasionally I still get disconnections and very odd glitches which I'm sure a lot of fans have already told you about (like the 'Requirements not met' bug which required me to restart the game entirely).

2) After a match, please let my group leave the randoms I'm with, and begin matchmaking on the next game immediately. Don't make me click READY or QUIT TO WORLD MAP, just start looking for the next game. 

3) While matchmaking, the user should be able to adjust their heroes' equipment.

4) Can we save several 'builds' of heroes and label them (for example, a 'stamina' build, a 'revenge' build, etc.?)

5) Duel replays - Fighting games already have this. I think For Honor will really benefit from this too. It's probably a big thing to program, though....but just throwing that out there in case you guys have thought of it already.

6) Match replays - probably even bigger than item #5 so I'm not keeping my hopes up.

7) It's easy to get confused on what team you're on when you're in a game. I have to keep reminding myself "I'm on orange!" or "I'm on blue!". There must be some way to fix the UI so it's clear what team you're on. 

8) Is it possible to do the same thing in other fighting games where you record your opponent AI to do something over and over, then you can practice with that? For example, could you make your opponent do a mix of guard breaks and attacks and just practice how to counter/parry those same things over and over?

9) Have a version of Duel where your equipment matters? It seems the default version makes all your gear just cosmetic so the special properties on them don't apply (not sure though).

10) A better training mode for characters which doesn't involve just watching the videos - take the example of games like Virtua Fighter 5 which walk you through doing a move instead of making you just watch it.

11) How to deal with 2v1, 3v1 and 4v1? It's really difficult and the game turns into a button mashing fest when that happens. There must be some way to balance it out or add better gameplay for these moments. Maybe the controls become a bit different or maybe you can push a button and the defense system changes for handling big groups like that.

Things I absolutely adore:

1) Duel mode AI - Amazing achievement on this! So fun to fight them and great to learn characters this way, without the hassles of fighting super pros online right away. Please keep this in the next game!

2) Practice modes - really great way to learn the game.

3) Parry/block/guard break system - Fantastic!

4) Stance system

5) 'Revenge' mode

6) The detail work on everything is insane. It's just a beautiful game to look at!

7) The animation work is top notch!

8) How the game can easily shift between 1v1 to 4v4 or other crazy scenarios and still have smooth controls and gameplay, just like a fighting game. 

Wish list:

1)  Copy Gears of War's 'Horde' mode, where you have to hold a fort from invading AI forces.Heck you could make more than 4 players team up for it

2) Add more factions (though maybe this is for For Honor 2)
- Spartans
- Persians
- Egyptians
- Greeks
- Mongols
- Chinese
- Barbarians
- Aztecs?

3) Story Mode - what is in the game isn't bad. I hope it will not be forgotten for For Honor 2. And always remember how not having a good story mode didn't really help out another famous fighting game, Street Fighter 5. I appreciate that a story / single player mode was put in the game. 

4) Practice mode while matchmaking - basically let the player do something while waiting for their game to start, whether that's managing their equipment or just doing parry/guard break practice. 

Popular posts from this blog

More on PS3 Hardware Failures: AICN's Moriarty Hit By BDL

Earlier I posted about how the PS3 is no less susceptible to hardware problems. The issue was dubbed the 'BDL' (Blu-Ray Disc Laser problem) over on Pinoyxbox by the multi-console users in the community. You'd find a lot more information about this by searching for error 80010514 and 80029906. That said, I saw this post on AICN from Moriarty ....apparently he also got hit by the BDL problem. He had the console repaired by Sony, and when he got his replacement, he was hit by another problem: he encountered an issue while updating his PS3, causing his system to get bricked. So now he's had two broken PS3s in a row, and the system has lost his recommendation as a blu-ray player system of choice for consumers: "Regarding Moriarty’s Awesome Non-Stop Blu-Ray Coverage... Or Lack Thereof! Dear Sony... Y’know, some days it doesn’t pay to be a movie fan. I’ve done tons of DVD coverage over the years here at AICN, and it’s funny... I’ve heard some people actually say, “But yo

Lost Odyssey Theme Song - "What You Are" by Sheena Easton

I've uploaded the theme song for Lost Odyssey in YouTube. Check out the video below: At first, I wasn't so into the song but when I heard it in full it grows on you. The song is actually quite beautiful. It was sung by Sheena Easton. With the lyrics from Hironobu Sakaguchi and the composition by Nobuo Uematsu. Very moving song, specially once you understand the lyrics. Below are the lyrics for the song "What You Are" by Sheena Easton When you touch me It feels just like a dream With the warmth that's in your eyes When you look at me I hear your voice beside me It whispers to me I can't hide how it makes me feel The shyness you see I may never Understand how deep it goes But I know how I feel What I hold deep in my heart There's just no way to stop this It's hopeless but true I feel this love More than anything So what more can I do You know I thought I would be much stronger than I am But then I feel the boldness that's inside my heart Just melt aw

Gamers based in the Philippines: How to get in Xbox Live

NOTE: This article has recently been updated (as of August 12, 2006). Singapore no longer lets you input '00000' as your zip code. Please see below for alternate zip codes. So you're a Filipino living in the Philippines with a brand-spanking new Xbox 360. You've heard about all the wonderful stories on Xbox Live. You happen to have a pretty good broadband connection. One day, you try out the Xbox Live sign-up options on your 360, and you find out to your dismay that your country is NOT listed. What do you do? Now, you can probably enjoy your 360 without live at all, but I have to tell you: YOU ARE MISSING OUT. As Peter Moore said in the recent MS Press Conference: "Having your 360 connected to Xbox Live is as vital as having your computer connected to the Internet". He is so damned right. I've been playing on Xbox Live for almost a year now (both on my original Xbox and the Xbox 360). Essentially I found out all of this with a little bit of research, a lit