Skip to main content

Titanfall 2 Review

"Press LB to time travel".

I'll never forget seeing that on my screen the first time. I was half expecting the usual FPS level (abandoned science lab....search for ancient artifact...). But I didn't see enough previews of Titanfall 2 to even expect THAT from the game when i was playing it.

Titanfall 2. Where to begin. I don't really have a great relationship with this particular game in the beginning. The developers of the game, Respawn Entertainment, had conducted a 'tech test' a few months back. While I enjoyed the first game, Titanfall 1....trying out the tech test had given me immense doubts on whether the developers understand what made the first game so good.

A few days after T2 got released, there was a lot of buzz on the internet about its campaign and its multiplayer mode. Initially I brushed these off as the usual paid shills on the internet doing marketing for the game....but eventually the opportunity arose to try it again, and I don't regret taking it to this day. If there's anything I do regret, it's playing on the tech test. This was really supposed to be a Day One purchase for me, and I missed out on that first day experience.

Titanfall 2 is a phenomenal game. The single player is really well paced, with creative level designs which you don't expect from something which appears to be a sci-fi military shooter. A lot of comparison has been made with games like Half-life and Portal, and you'd only understand this comparison after playing the game. It wouldn't be fair to just write on every single interesting tidbit from the single player game and spoil it all....I would just recommend this game highly and advise you to trust me, it's really as good as everyone says it is.

Multiplayer - I've been playing it for weeks now and it is far removed from the tech test experience i had previously. The action is back to its chaotic, frenetic pacing from the first game. Some things were revised like the way rodeo-ing a Titan is handled, or how your Titan doesn't get a shield by default...but after more play sessions I can see why they did it that way. They did give your Titan a way to 'repair' itself in this version of Titanfall, and that's why they introduced the new mechanics (you can get a battery to add a shield to your titan, or increase its health a bit). Overall I really, really like how fast this game is, and I ABSOLUTELY love the network code. It's the shining crown jewel of this game and I can attest to it. At almost 200-250ms ping here in the Philippines, on Xbox One, I can get first, second, or third on the scoreboard in Attrition. I can't manage that in other shooters but in Titanfall 1 and in Titanfall 2, the netcode is just so good that even with my very slow third world connection (5 mbps down, 0.5 mbps up) i can do really well on the scoreboard. It's just a really smooth online game, and I haven't played many other games that feel as great as this one.

Overall - this game is one of the games of this year, just one of the best, and i think great work like this should be supported by other players. Buy this game!

Popular posts from this blog

More on PS3 Hardware Failures: AICN's Moriarty Hit By BDL

Earlier I posted about how the PS3 is no less susceptible to hardware problems. The issue was dubbed the 'BDL' (Blu-Ray Disc Laser problem) over on Pinoyxbox by the multi-console users in the community. You'd find a lot more information about this by searching for error 80010514 and 80029906. That said, I saw this post on AICN from Moriarty ....apparently he also got hit by the BDL problem. He had the console repaired by Sony, and when he got his replacement, he was hit by another problem: he encountered an issue while updating his PS3, causing his system to get bricked. So now he's had two broken PS3s in a row, and the system has lost his recommendation as a blu-ray player system of choice for consumers: "Regarding Moriarty’s Awesome Non-Stop Blu-Ray Coverage... Or Lack Thereof! Dear Sony... Y’know, some days it doesn’t pay to be a movie fan. I’ve done tons of DVD coverage over the years here at AICN, and it’s funny... I’ve heard some people actually say, “But yo

Lost Odyssey Theme Song - "What You Are" by Sheena Easton

I've uploaded the theme song for Lost Odyssey in YouTube. Check out the video below: At first, I wasn't so into the song but when I heard it in full it grows on you. The song is actually quite beautiful. It was sung by Sheena Easton. With the lyrics from Hironobu Sakaguchi and the composition by Nobuo Uematsu. Very moving song, specially once you understand the lyrics. Below are the lyrics for the song "What You Are" by Sheena Easton When you touch me It feels just like a dream With the warmth that's in your eyes When you look at me I hear your voice beside me It whispers to me I can't hide how it makes me feel The shyness you see I may never Understand how deep it goes But I know how I feel What I hold deep in my heart There's just no way to stop this It's hopeless but true I feel this love More than anything So what more can I do You know I thought I would be much stronger than I am But then I feel the boldness that's inside my heart Just melt aw

Gamers based in the Philippines: How to get in Xbox Live

NOTE: This article has recently been updated (as of August 12, 2006). Singapore no longer lets you input '00000' as your zip code. Please see below for alternate zip codes. So you're a Filipino living in the Philippines with a brand-spanking new Xbox 360. You've heard about all the wonderful stories on Xbox Live. You happen to have a pretty good broadband connection. One day, you try out the Xbox Live sign-up options on your 360, and you find out to your dismay that your country is NOT listed. What do you do? Now, you can probably enjoy your 360 without live at all, but I have to tell you: YOU ARE MISSING OUT. As Peter Moore said in the recent MS Press Conference: "Having your 360 connected to Xbox Live is as vital as having your computer connected to the Internet". He is so damned right. I've been playing on Xbox Live for almost a year now (both on my original Xbox and the Xbox 360). Essentially I found out all of this with a little bit of research, a lit