Skip to main content

My Prediction for What's Coming for Xbox One This Year

There's lots of talk about the announcements Microsoft made a few weeks back. Summing these up:

1) Essentially their goal is to make every Xbox One exclusive a Windows 10 exclusive also.

2) The Xbox One will eventually be an 'upgradable' console.

My reaction to #1 - It's a damn shame that Microsoft doesn't want to sell its Xbox One console as hard as it should be. As an international user, the marketing is pretty abysmal for Xbox One, particularly here in the Philippines which is now pretty much Playstation dominated. Dropping exclusive games for Xbox One is great news for PC users, but it really doesn't encourage Xbox One gamers to keep their machines.

I mean, you already get a lot of pressure from outlets like Digital Foundry saying the Xbox One is inferior to the PS4 (even if, to be honest, the difference in performance is so small to even be worthy of discussion). This does not help sell the console at all, and is just a strange move from MS. The only reason I can think of is that they just have to push Windows 10, which is increasingly becoming difficult to sell since people are either sticking to their old OS or just buying tablets and mobile phones with their extra disposable income.

Maybe I'm being too negative about it and maybe its a 'good' thing eventually. But I don't know why Microsoft wants to treat their Xbox buyers this way. It's pretty easy for the Xbox crowd to just switch to Playstation, and this is just going to push them to switch, because why stick with Xbox if there isn't any true exclusive games?

My reaction to #2 - Some people think that Microsoft is going to let you buy some kind of special hardware that will just connect to the Xbox One you have right now, and magically your console is going to be a 4K 120FPS machine. I seriously doubt this. As a former member of the 'PC Master Race', I really doubt they're going to get the bandwidth needed to upgrade the Xbox One through USB 3 or through the Kinect port at the back.

My prediction - this is what is going to happen:

1) The whole point of the recent Microsoft announcement is to 'soften the blow', when Microsoft announces a new Xbox One revision later this year. Whether or not this new revision will come out this year is arguable, but possible.

2) I think deep down, Microsoft is sick of losing in Digital Foundry resolution wars. So they're going to go overboard and release a super Xbox One which goes way beyond PS4 graphically. It's going to be so good that --- it will be very expensive.

3) This new 'Super Xbox One' will be natively BC to the old 'Xbox One' games and 360 games (using the same method Xbox One is using currently for 360 BC).

4) They will justify releasing this 'Super Xbox One' by saying it is completely back compat to your already existing library.

5) They're going to call it 'optional' so (hopefully) other Xbox One users wont get mad for being asked to buy the console again.

6) This new 'Xbox One' will have the 'modular ports' feature that Phil Spencer was talking about at that recent conference. As it stands, the CURRENT Xbox isn't upgradable, but it's logical to think that they're going to release another Xbox this year which has this 'upgradeable' capability.

7) There's going to be a lot of confusion and anger about this one. Because some people just bought the Xbox One last year.

8) Releasing another Xbox may help them market internationally. For starters, it shouldn't have the E3 2013 baggage the current Xbox One has (notice how a lot of people STILL think the current Xbox One can't play used games? Releasing a new console forces their retailers to train all the sales staff again, so none of them will say 'always on, always connected', anymore).

I honestly don't know how to feel about Microsoft's plan. I look at companies like Sega and Nintendo, who've released weaker hardware in the past, but they didn't let that get them down...well, usually. It should be possible to keep on pushing the hardware. Or, maybe Microsoft already reached the limit on performance and they just want to match or surpass the PS4 in terms of sheer numbers. In any case, it isn't good news for Xbox one owners to be asked to buy another system.

Popular posts from this blog

More on PS3 Hardware Failures: AICN's Moriarty Hit By BDL

Earlier I posted about how the PS3 is no less susceptible to hardware problems. The issue was dubbed the 'BDL' (Blu-Ray Disc Laser problem) over on Pinoyxbox by the multi-console users in the community. You'd find a lot more information about this by searching for error 80010514 and 80029906. That said, I saw this post on AICN from Moriarty ....apparently he also got hit by the BDL problem. He had the console repaired by Sony, and when he got his replacement, he was hit by another problem: he encountered an issue while updating his PS3, causing his system to get bricked. So now he's had two broken PS3s in a row, and the system has lost his recommendation as a blu-ray player system of choice for consumers: "Regarding Moriarty’s Awesome Non-Stop Blu-Ray Coverage... Or Lack Thereof! Dear Sony... Y’know, some days it doesn’t pay to be a movie fan. I’ve done tons of DVD coverage over the years here at AICN, and it’s funny... I’ve heard some people actually say, “But yo

Lost Odyssey Theme Song - "What You Are" by Sheena Easton

I've uploaded the theme song for Lost Odyssey in YouTube. Check out the video below: At first, I wasn't so into the song but when I heard it in full it grows on you. The song is actually quite beautiful. It was sung by Sheena Easton. With the lyrics from Hironobu Sakaguchi and the composition by Nobuo Uematsu. Very moving song, specially once you understand the lyrics. Below are the lyrics for the song "What You Are" by Sheena Easton When you touch me It feels just like a dream With the warmth that's in your eyes When you look at me I hear your voice beside me It whispers to me I can't hide how it makes me feel The shyness you see I may never Understand how deep it goes But I know how I feel What I hold deep in my heart There's just no way to stop this It's hopeless but true I feel this love More than anything So what more can I do You know I thought I would be much stronger than I am But then I feel the boldness that's inside my heart Just melt aw

Gamers based in the Philippines: How to get in Xbox Live

NOTE: This article has recently been updated (as of August 12, 2006). Singapore no longer lets you input '00000' as your zip code. Please see below for alternate zip codes. So you're a Filipino living in the Philippines with a brand-spanking new Xbox 360. You've heard about all the wonderful stories on Xbox Live. You happen to have a pretty good broadband connection. One day, you try out the Xbox Live sign-up options on your 360, and you find out to your dismay that your country is NOT listed. What do you do? Now, you can probably enjoy your 360 without live at all, but I have to tell you: YOU ARE MISSING OUT. As Peter Moore said in the recent MS Press Conference: "Having your 360 connected to Xbox Live is as vital as having your computer connected to the Internet". He is so damned right. I've been playing on Xbox Live for almost a year now (both on my original Xbox and the Xbox 360). Essentially I found out all of this with a little bit of research, a lit