Skip to main content

Thoughts on the current Console War at this early stage

It's good to see a lot of ads for Playstation in Metro Manila. There's this gigantic streamer over at Glorietta today with details on their upcoming PS4 launch tomorrow. I guess if you're a big Sony fan here in the Philippines, times are good. Almost every bit of news out of the gaming press and forums is positive for the Playstation brand, but most of it is positive because of its potential for great games. Great games have not YET arrived for the PS4 but because of things like theoretical perfomance measurements, and comparisons between multiplatform games, it seems the Playstation 4 is winning.

But until we actually see more 'must-play' games, the PS4's success isn't guaranteed yet. At least, in my humble opinion.

On the Xbox front, locally it looks tough for them because of the higher price tag, but out of the gate they have some games considered as 'AAA' by most gamers. Games such as Forza 5 and the latest Dead Rising are pretty high profile in the sense that their past iterations did very well with both game reviews and sales. In the Philippines, though, i think the Xbox is gaining a little traction not because of those games but because of Kinect games like Dance Central. This is purely anecdotal, but mostly I see people here buying Xboxes for games like Dance Central which have a lot of family appeal. It's hard for me to tell if people see the Xbox as the console for FPS games, considering that the same FPSes are on the PS3 already. But then again, it's hard to conclude without any numbers on this.

The Wii U might not be doing very well, at least from my observation, simply because the stores here don't even stock the latest major Wii U releases. I purchased Assassin's Creed 4 a few weeks ago for the Wii U. Thing is, the local shops didn't even stock the Wii U version even if they import from the USA and the game has been out for the Wii U in the US for a long time since then. They only stocked it around after December 25 which is a bit strange, considering that if they want to sell the Wii U hardware units they have in stock, they OUGHT to have had AC4 stocked as well, if only to give people a good reason to even buy it. A lot of people say that Nintendo players only buy Nintendo games on Nintendo platforms, and maybe that is true, which is why Wii U is not doing very well everywhere; the third party support just isn't there. But first party releases from Nintendo for Wii U continue to show that the system is worth buying, because Nintendo games provide an experience you just can't get anywhere else.

The console wars are underway, though there's just too few 'next gen' games on all the new platforms to decide any real winner. You will see a lot of people rooting for one side or another, and that's just the way these things start out. The best part is only probably going to happen after one or two years, when we finally see a more solid lineup out of all three platforms.

I'm severely tempted to buy an Xbox One because of Forza 5 but part of me doesn't want to get it yet because it's so expensive, and there are really just a few games for it. And being a family man doesn't make it any easier to find time to play more games. I guess we'll have to wait and see, then.

Popular posts from this blog

More on PS3 Hardware Failures: AICN's Moriarty Hit By BDL

Earlier I posted about how the PS3 is no less susceptible to hardware problems. The issue was dubbed the 'BDL' (Blu-Ray Disc Laser problem) over on Pinoyxbox by the multi-console users in the community. You'd find a lot more information about this by searching for error 80010514 and 80029906. That said, I saw this post on AICN from Moriarty ....apparently he also got hit by the BDL problem. He had the console repaired by Sony, and when he got his replacement, he was hit by another problem: he encountered an issue while updating his PS3, causing his system to get bricked. So now he's had two broken PS3s in a row, and the system has lost his recommendation as a blu-ray player system of choice for consumers: "Regarding Moriarty’s Awesome Non-Stop Blu-Ray Coverage... Or Lack Thereof! Dear Sony... Y’know, some days it doesn’t pay to be a movie fan. I’ve done tons of DVD coverage over the years here at AICN, and it’s funny... I’ve heard some people actually say, “But yo

Lost Odyssey Theme Song - "What You Are" by Sheena Easton

I've uploaded the theme song for Lost Odyssey in YouTube. Check out the video below: At first, I wasn't so into the song but when I heard it in full it grows on you. The song is actually quite beautiful. It was sung by Sheena Easton. With the lyrics from Hironobu Sakaguchi and the composition by Nobuo Uematsu. Very moving song, specially once you understand the lyrics. Below are the lyrics for the song "What You Are" by Sheena Easton When you touch me It feels just like a dream With the warmth that's in your eyes When you look at me I hear your voice beside me It whispers to me I can't hide how it makes me feel The shyness you see I may never Understand how deep it goes But I know how I feel What I hold deep in my heart There's just no way to stop this It's hopeless but true I feel this love More than anything So what more can I do You know I thought I would be much stronger than I am But then I feel the boldness that's inside my heart Just melt aw

Gamers based in the Philippines: How to get in Xbox Live

NOTE: This article has recently been updated (as of August 12, 2006). Singapore no longer lets you input '00000' as your zip code. Please see below for alternate zip codes. So you're a Filipino living in the Philippines with a brand-spanking new Xbox 360. You've heard about all the wonderful stories on Xbox Live. You happen to have a pretty good broadband connection. One day, you try out the Xbox Live sign-up options on your 360, and you find out to your dismay that your country is NOT listed. What do you do? Now, you can probably enjoy your 360 without live at all, but I have to tell you: YOU ARE MISSING OUT. As Peter Moore said in the recent MS Press Conference: "Having your 360 connected to Xbox Live is as vital as having your computer connected to the Internet". He is so damned right. I've been playing on Xbox Live for almost a year now (both on my original Xbox and the Xbox 360). Essentially I found out all of this with a little bit of research, a lit