Skip to main content

Dishonored - Everyone's GOTY - I don't get it

Dishonored. Every gamer out there talks about this game like it's the greatest thing. So I went ahead and picked it up. I had pretty high hopes for this game. Granted there are some great parts to it. It's really nice how you can teleport around like Nightcrawler. That's cool. But there's one thing that really, really bugs me about this game.

The game gives you the most awesome killing implements; you've got your sword, a gun, some traps, some skills that let you summon an army of rats, a wind spell like Skyrim's FUS ROH DAH! and many more...

...and ten minutes into the game, the game tells you that YOU CAN'T KILL ANYONE.

What the hell is this?

OK to be very clear, the game actually tells you that you have to have a low body count or else you will get a 'dark' ending.

Why would they do this? I mean, seriously. Why tell the player, no, why punish the player for playing however they like? Yeah well I don't really know what the game means by 'darker ending' but it sure discourages you from using those awesome skills listed in your in-game menu. It just limits your options. It's an annoying feeling because there are a lot of scenarios where a cool assassination might be good to do....but you always have that nagging feeling that every time you kill some hapless guard, the game will get worse for you. Killing increases the number of rats in the world and also adds some freakish monsters to the world's city. So it's really discouraging to even use any of the available super skills to deal out some damage and actually feel powerful.

It's an annoying thing that's just in the game, and doesn't make an iota of sense. Give player an arsenal...AND NOT ALLOW THEM TO USE IT! Talk about trolling.

"I'm going to put this Bazooka right here in front of you. Now here's a tank. Destroy it....but DON'T USE THE BAZOOKA. What. The...."

Well, so there. In other aspects the game is just OK; i think they were going for an Assassin's Creed + Bioshock feeling with this game. It succeeds to some extent though i wish they would branch out how you get a 'darker' ending or not, not through stopping the player from using the available options. Maybe they could have just given you decision points throughout the game that determined the course of the ending (no, no, not the way Mass Effect did it with A, B, C choices at the end where you can just save and load the final save and see all the endings, which is lame....they should spread out the choices throughout the game so you will need to play the entire thing again to see all the endings. Why don't developers make their games this way?)

I haven't finished the game yet. I already heard the ending kinda sucks (rumors on forums) so I'm a bit prepared for the inevitable 'Thanks for Playing!' message. The storyline is...just OK, not terribly mindblowing and there are some bizarre elements to it so far. Maybe they'll explain it later on, but there's some type of magical entity that gave you those killing powers and somehow it's related to all the rats appearing in the world, something like that. They were going for "original storyline" with this one....and it just ends up a bit strange. I don't entirely hate it but I have difficulty really sympathizing with the 'good guys' in the game, they just seem like a generic 'rebel group' a'la Star Wars or something.

The one cool thing so far in the game, is this disembodied, bio-mechanical 'heart' item that you have in your inventory. Point it at any NPC and it gives you some voiceover / backstory for that NPC. It also gives you backstory on the environments if you point it at that, too. It's a bit overly grave/dark/Tim Burton-esque at times, though, but i think that's the theme they were going for, anyway.

So I'll pass judgment until i finally finish this game. For now, it just sucks that I'm a bad-ass in this game with all these killer moves, and I can't even use them without ruining my character's storyline somehow. It's a big deal to me, so yeah.

UPDATE: Finally finished it. Not worth writing a whole new post about the ending. It's horrible!

Popular posts from this blog

More on PS3 Hardware Failures: AICN's Moriarty Hit By BDL

Earlier I posted about how the PS3 is no less susceptible to hardware problems. The issue was dubbed the 'BDL' (Blu-Ray Disc Laser problem) over on Pinoyxbox by the multi-console users in the community. You'd find a lot more information about this by searching for error 80010514 and 80029906. That said, I saw this post on AICN from Moriarty ....apparently he also got hit by the BDL problem. He had the console repaired by Sony, and when he got his replacement, he was hit by another problem: he encountered an issue while updating his PS3, causing his system to get bricked. So now he's had two broken PS3s in a row, and the system has lost his recommendation as a blu-ray player system of choice for consumers: "Regarding Moriarty’s Awesome Non-Stop Blu-Ray Coverage... Or Lack Thereof! Dear Sony... Y’know, some days it doesn’t pay to be a movie fan. I’ve done tons of DVD coverage over the years here at AICN, and it’s funny... I’ve heard some people actually say, “But yo

Lost Odyssey Theme Song - "What You Are" by Sheena Easton

I've uploaded the theme song for Lost Odyssey in YouTube. Check out the video below: At first, I wasn't so into the song but when I heard it in full it grows on you. The song is actually quite beautiful. It was sung by Sheena Easton. With the lyrics from Hironobu Sakaguchi and the composition by Nobuo Uematsu. Very moving song, specially once you understand the lyrics. Below are the lyrics for the song "What You Are" by Sheena Easton When you touch me It feels just like a dream With the warmth that's in your eyes When you look at me I hear your voice beside me It whispers to me I can't hide how it makes me feel The shyness you see I may never Understand how deep it goes But I know how I feel What I hold deep in my heart There's just no way to stop this It's hopeless but true I feel this love More than anything So what more can I do You know I thought I would be much stronger than I am But then I feel the boldness that's inside my heart Just melt aw

Gamers based in the Philippines: How to get in Xbox Live

NOTE: This article has recently been updated (as of August 12, 2006). Singapore no longer lets you input '00000' as your zip code. Please see below for alternate zip codes. So you're a Filipino living in the Philippines with a brand-spanking new Xbox 360. You've heard about all the wonderful stories on Xbox Live. You happen to have a pretty good broadband connection. One day, you try out the Xbox Live sign-up options on your 360, and you find out to your dismay that your country is NOT listed. What do you do? Now, you can probably enjoy your 360 without live at all, but I have to tell you: YOU ARE MISSING OUT. As Peter Moore said in the recent MS Press Conference: "Having your 360 connected to Xbox Live is as vital as having your computer connected to the Internet". He is so damned right. I've been playing on Xbox Live for almost a year now (both on my original Xbox and the Xbox 360). Essentially I found out all of this with a little bit of research, a lit