This is my obsession for the week...MIDs! So how in the world did I get started with this? It's rather simple, I was reviewing for an exam, reading eBooks and tons of websites. Of course this meant I had to review using my laptop and after an hour or two you do get a crick on your neck. At the back of my mind, I was thinking, wouldn't it be great to have an iPad for occasions like this? Sure it would but I certainly won't shell out around PHP 20-40K for something like that. Finally news about the Chinese iPad knockoffs caught my attention.
From what I've seen most of these iPad knockoffs or rather MIDs have a similar trait:
- Cheap looking plastic casings
- Most are underpowered with around 600-800 Mghz processor speed
- RAM falls short normally around 128 MB
- ROM is expandable using SD cards
- They are mostly using Google's Android with some units running Windows CE
or Windows 7
- THE PRICE IS DEFINITELY CHEAP COMPARED TO THE IPAD!
Let me get one thing straight, this is still a luxury device. Despite the cheap price it is something you can definitely do without...just like the iPad. But the price does make it accessible to people who read a lot of stuff using their laptops or PCs. Sure it can play video and music too which is an added bonus.