Skip to main content

Forza Motorsport 8 – What I’d like to see


Forza Motorsport 8 – What I’d like to see

With the Xbox Series X upon us this holiday, a lot of the usual commenters online are speculating that Forza Motorsport 8 is a sure release alongside Halo Infinite this holiday season. I’m of the opinion that Microsoft is better suited to release Forza Horizon 5 alongside the XSX just due to the mass appeal of that game. That said, I do have thoughts on FM8 if Microsoft were to release that game at the end of this year.

My feedback here is mostly based on Forza Motorsport 7 – a fine racing game, I think, which was LARGELY underappreciated. At the time of its release, the only topic amongst the usual commenters like the media and “hardworking” Youtubers is that the microtransactions ruined that game. The truth was, at release, yes there was a microtransaction system, but it did not have any effect on the actual racing. At worst, it made access to some cars more difficult, but the cars you already get with the base game were already very competitive. Eventually MS did take out the microtransactions, but, as usual, nobody talks about the good news and everyone just focused on the bad news for the Forza series.

I’ve been playing Forza Motorsport since the first one on the original Xbox. I have some idea of what to expect from a Forza game and how specifically to ‘enjoy’ a Forza game. Forza games have no storyline, the whole point of a Forza game is actually the gameplay, the enjoyment of racing against AI or humans and just mastery of a particular car or track. By its very nature, a Forza racing game is repetitive. You do the same thing over and over again. You drive around a track, in circles. The track does not change much. The whole point of it is mastering the controls, cutting corners properly to get fast times, and the satisfaction of hitting each corner consistently.

A lot of reviews and critiques of Forza don’t realize this. They just list a set of features and once the repetition of the game hits, they’ll start calling it ‘boring’.

On my end, I understand the idea of what makes a Forza game fun, and what exactly Turn 10 / MS would need to work on to add on to that fun. I hope they largely ignore commenters / Youtubers who have no idea how racing games work. I guess that’s my first feedback, because there’s a lot of trash opinions out there that are really not worth listening to, if they don’t get what makes a racing game fun.

On to my next points, which are largely suggestions / improvements to systems inside Forza Motorsport.

TUNING

When you go to the Tuning section inside Forza Motorsport 7, it is largely unchanged from past games. It even uses some tip text from the previous games which looks like it was just copy pasted from the previous sequels.

FM has to put in better effort to teach new players how to use this part of the game. I’m the first to admit that, while I largely enjoy the driving in the game, I cannot figure out how tuning works. That’s because the game does not explain this very well.

There has to be some kind of effective tutorial for players to use this part of the game effectively. There also has to be some way to tell the player how to interpret or see the effect of any changes they’ve done to the car’s settings.

At the very least, please don’t copy paste the tuning text from past games in the FM8….

LEADERBOARD SYSTEM

Please let the player keep a LOCAL leaderboard for various track/car combinations. When I say LOCAL, I mean, some database inside the game that is not uploaded online, so that a player can compare times between their different owned cars and car tunes.

One challenge with tuning is that, you don’t know if the changes you made actually made your car better or worse. The ONLINE leaderboard just has your best time for a combination car/track. That means you only remember one time per specific track/race setup. If you needed to compare times between the cars in your garage, you’d have to have a pen and paper ready and write down the times yourself….which is a big hassle.

I do a lot of rivals racing and I know I’ll probably NEVER beat the guys in the top 100. Those guys have godlike race setups, use clutch and I don’t know what else to achieve crazy fast times. At the very least, let me enjoy competing with myself and my own cars, by letting me compare my own times on various courses/classes.

They could go the extra mile and let you race against different ghosts you have of different cars on the same track, even slower ghosts. The point is, this is all saved LOCALLY so you have a database of your own performance across different race situations.

The local database an also remember your car build, tune setup and there must be some way to compare tunes across your own local setups. This should solve the problem above with Tuning where a player has no idea if the changes they are making is even helping them race better.

Another suggestion would be, to let clans or groups set up special leaderboards which are invite only or public, which players could participate in. They could make it a weekly thing where if they want to make a competition inside their own group or clan, they could just post it online and then the only thing the leaderboard does is to save the times/ghosts temporarily. Maybe link this on some website somewhere so people can view the different times getting posted, daily.

QUALIFYING – RACING

I think this feedback was given by many other racing players – make the campaign allow the player to do a qualifier like in F1 races, so that they can determine their own grid position. Basically if FM wants to be more respected as an actual racing simulator, they should try and follow some of the actual racing rules in real racing leagues. I’m surprised this hasn’t been done yet even after 7 sequels. Of course, they can default the ‘no need to qualify’ option since there are going to be players who will complain about the tedium of qualifying events. But the option of qualifying will improve the game’s reputation with sim racers.

DECALS / VINYLS

Allow decals and vinyls on windows of cars, even if it gets ridiculous. It really worked well for NFS heat, and in real race cars, decals are allowed on windows anyway. It will just give more options for designers and that’s always a good thing.

Also, I hope that with the XSX, that added power will allow for more detailed and SHARPER custom decals and vinyls. I love Photo Mode in FM7 and it always sucks to zoom in to a car and see jaggies on decals. With more memory and power present on the new console, I hope that decals/vinyls can have sharper resolution and less / no jaggies.

ENGINE SOUND

NFS heat had a really good engine sound implementation and it even let you customize it. I hope the just outright copy that from NFS heat….no shame in it! It’s a really cool feature that needs to be in Forza too.

SPOTIFY INTEGRATION

This suggestion is for every Forza game from now on. Integrated Spotify. Basically integrating it means that the sound is properly balanced with the car audio, and the sound can adjust in specific scenarios. For example, if an in-game character begins talking, the sound lowers so you can hear it. If you use the Spotify App, the game does not do this--- so it has to be integrated directly in the game so that sound adjustment is handled by the game itself.

MAKE FORZA HORIZON’S RADIO STATIONS PART OF MOTORSPORT

Motorsport can get stale because of how repetitive it is. The radio stations in FH really help add variety to that game. Why not just add it to Motorsport too? Since basically both games have a shared universe anyway. Let both games mention each other. They’re essentially the same universe, just different disciplines. I think the franchise will be solidified more if both worlds acknowledge each other’s existence.

CUSTOM GARAGES

PGR had this feature where you could position your cars in a garage and just take pictures with all of them. Both Motorsport and Horizon could benefit from this. Actually, FM8 really could, since this will give you something else to do other than race. Maybe you can upgrade your garage so your menu screen will look different as you progress through the game. You could adjust the lights in your garage or how the lights blend with your cars, you could put things in your garage to compliment your cars…..just give the player more creative things to do to highlight their vehicles more. NFS heat does a great job of this, and I hope Turn 10 is looking for inspiration from other titles.

MORE FANTASY TRACKS

To help remove the monotony / repetitive nature of sim racing, add more crazy fantasy tracks. Yes this seems like more of a Horizon thing, for sure, but it’s just that real sim tracks have to have tire walls and all these safety features, which granted, should save real people from dying in car accidents.

Forza Motorsport is a video game. OWN IT. That’s what I’d say to Turn 10. You don’t have to have regulation spacing on tracks. You can put walls which would probably kill a real driver --- but nobody dies in a Forza game…. Come on guys. Just take advantage of that fact and you can make a more exciting simulation racing game.

Race through New York, Tokyo, San Francisco – there’s so much Forza can do creatively, that doesn’t need an open world. Look to PGR for inspiration. Add cool landmarks / vistas to drive by. You can design a track like an arcade game, but keep the sim elements to basically challenge the player. This isn’t taking over Horizon’s turf, by any means. FM is still a track racer, and the point of it is lapped races. Just give the player better scenery to drive by.

I’VE BEEN DYING TO SAY THIS SINCE FM1 – AWD AND RWD SHOULD NEVER RACE TOGETHER

This has been bugging me since FM1 and FH1 – why is it that RWD and AWD cars can race together or even share leaderboards together? I think it’s clearly established by this point after nearly 20 years of Forza, after so many sequels on both sides, that AWD cars and RWD cars just cannot mix. AWD cars will always win. Even with the crazy understeer on some AWD’s, they can be tuned to effectively destroy RWD’s every time. And after all the sequels and patches and tuning and arguing online and everything, it’s pretty clear by this point, you cannot mix AWDs and RWDs together.

If Turn 10 insists to continue mixing them, then some adjustment to the current class system needs to be done so that AWDs get more points to their performance index and once you add an all-wheel drivetrain to a car, you can’t plow through the competition in lower classes.

Winning a race division should never be ‘drop all-wheel drivetrain into car’ = win. This shouldn’t be possible. At least let the player put in more effort if they’re going to put in an all wheel drive car.

CONCLUSION

So we’re all waiting with baited breath to see if MS is going to release a new Motorsport or a new Horizon game. I am happy to see the series succeed so much after many, many years. I still remember the days when the game would be compared to Gran Turismo and everyone calls Forza the lesser franchise. It’s good to see Forza finally emerge victorious – Gran Turismo is so far behind when it comes to cars, driving gameplay and features, it’s not even a competition anymore. GT is basically a joke of a franchise now.

That said, there is always room for improvement, and I give these feedback as constructive criticism for the Forza series. I want to continue playing these games for 10, 20 more years. And I want to say I really appreciate these games, they’re so much fun and they just never lose any value for me. In between big story-game releases, Forza is just a great way to unwind. In a sense, it has achieved probably what the developers set out to do – let you experience what it’s like to own these incredible cars. I’d say that, if I needed to get my mind off things, going into my garage and rolling into my GTR is probably a great stress reliever – if I could afford one. At the very least, Forza lets me have that fantasy.

Thanks Turn 10.



Popular posts from this blog

More on PS3 Hardware Failures: AICN's Moriarty Hit By BDL

Earlier I posted about how the PS3 is no less susceptible to hardware problems. The issue was dubbed the 'BDL' (Blu-Ray Disc Laser problem) over on Pinoyxbox by the multi-console users in the community. You'd find a lot more information about this by searching for error 80010514 and 80029906. That said, I saw this post on AICN from Moriarty ....apparently he also got hit by the BDL problem. He had the console repaired by Sony, and when he got his replacement, he was hit by another problem: he encountered an issue while updating his PS3, causing his system to get bricked. So now he's had two broken PS3s in a row, and the system has lost his recommendation as a blu-ray player system of choice for consumers: "Regarding Moriarty’s Awesome Non-Stop Blu-Ray Coverage... Or Lack Thereof! Dear Sony... Y’know, some days it doesn’t pay to be a movie fan. I’ve done tons of DVD coverage over the years here at AICN, and it’s funny... I’ve heard some people actually say, “But yo

Lost Odyssey Theme Song - "What You Are" by Sheena Easton

I've uploaded the theme song for Lost Odyssey in YouTube. Check out the video below: At first, I wasn't so into the song but when I heard it in full it grows on you. The song is actually quite beautiful. It was sung by Sheena Easton. With the lyrics from Hironobu Sakaguchi and the composition by Nobuo Uematsu. Very moving song, specially once you understand the lyrics. Below are the lyrics for the song "What You Are" by Sheena Easton When you touch me It feels just like a dream With the warmth that's in your eyes When you look at me I hear your voice beside me It whispers to me I can't hide how it makes me feel The shyness you see I may never Understand how deep it goes But I know how I feel What I hold deep in my heart There's just no way to stop this It's hopeless but true I feel this love More than anything So what more can I do You know I thought I would be much stronger than I am But then I feel the boldness that's inside my heart Just melt aw

Gamers based in the Philippines: How to get in Xbox Live

NOTE: This article has recently been updated (as of August 12, 2006). Singapore no longer lets you input '00000' as your zip code. Please see below for alternate zip codes. So you're a Filipino living in the Philippines with a brand-spanking new Xbox 360. You've heard about all the wonderful stories on Xbox Live. You happen to have a pretty good broadband connection. One day, you try out the Xbox Live sign-up options on your 360, and you find out to your dismay that your country is NOT listed. What do you do? Now, you can probably enjoy your 360 without live at all, but I have to tell you: YOU ARE MISSING OUT. As Peter Moore said in the recent MS Press Conference: "Having your 360 connected to Xbox Live is as vital as having your computer connected to the Internet". He is so damned right. I've been playing on Xbox Live for almost a year now (both on my original Xbox and the Xbox 360). Essentially I found out all of this with a little bit of research, a lit