Skip to main content

Ok, So I Was Wrong, and WCG 2009 Picked Some More PC Games....

Admittedly I wrong to think that they would actually pick 2 more Xbox 360 games and one more PC game. I guess I thought that the US WCG site could be right, considering how dead serious the US is when it comes to gaming leagues.

The games they did pick, don't catch my interest at all. Here's the official press release.

Latest Titles for WCG 2009 are:

FIFA 09 (the only good choice in the latest press release....)





Carom3D (To be honest, it's more fun to watch this in real life.)



Red Stone (Hmm...an MMORPG, I think? Ehh....)



Trackmania (Nice race tracks. Will this work competitively? Surprised they didn't pick an EA racing game.)






Three mobile games

Asphalt 4




Wise Star 2 (No video(s) found on youtube)

Dungeon & Fighter




Basically, yeah, I was totally wrong with all my predictions for WCG 2009, but damn, those choices that they made are not really the kind of games I'm interested to watch in a competition setting. The only choice which probably makes sense in that lineup is FIFA 09.

Press Release:

http://www.wcg.com/6th/fun/news/news_view.asp?keyno=C09041310000

NEW YORK, NY. April 13, 2009 – World Cyber Games (WCG / www.wcg.com), the premier international video game competition and festival, has announced seven additional game titles which will be featured throughout 2009.

The new titles include all-time favorite PC titles FIFA Soccer 09, TrackMania Nations Forever, Carom3D and Red Stone as the Official Game Title for WCG. They will join the previously announced five Official Game Titles – including Counter-Strike 1.6 (PC), Starcraft: Brood War (PC), WarCraft III The Frozen Throne (PC), Guitar Hero: World Tour (Xbox 360) and Virtua Fighter 5 (Xbox 360) – to ensure that this year's competition features a wide variety of games that appeal to all different types of gamers around the world.

This marks the ninth year that FIFA 09 will be an Official Game Title for WCG. The beloved soccer game provided one of the shockers of the 2008 Grand Final when Romania ended Germany's dominance to capture the gold. Also marking return engagements in the competition will be Carom3D, which has been a part of the WCG for the past three years, and Red Stone, which made its WCG debut last year. TrackMania, the world famous racing game, will add to the competition's long pedigree of racing games.

Adding to the diversity of the 2009 tournament will be the return of the Mobile Game Category. After making a huge splash through ‘Samsung Mobile Challenge' at the 2008 Grand Final, the two mobile games to be featured include Asphalt 4 and the celestial puzzle game Wise Star2. Also in this year's line-up, MORPG (Multi-player online role-playing game) Dungeon & Fighter will be featured as a Promotional Title.

''The World Cyber Games is more committed than ever to make eSports accessible to every type of gamer around the world'' said Hyoung-Seok Kim, president and CEO of World Cyber Games. ''This year's lineup not only features wide variety of Official Game Title of Xbox 360 and PC games, but we are expanding the number of mobile games. With these new titles, we expect the 2009 Grand Final to be the most diverse and exciting one we have ever had.''

WCG also announced the date of WCG 2009 Grand Final. This year the annual event will be held from November 11 to 15, for 5 days taking place in Chengdu, China

Popular posts from this blog

More on PS3 Hardware Failures: AICN's Moriarty Hit By BDL

Earlier I posted about how the PS3 is no less susceptible to hardware problems. The issue was dubbed the 'BDL' (Blu-Ray Disc Laser problem) over on Pinoyxbox by the multi-console users in the community. You'd find a lot more information about this by searching for error 80010514 and 80029906. That said, I saw this post on AICN from Moriarty ....apparently he also got hit by the BDL problem. He had the console repaired by Sony, and when he got his replacement, he was hit by another problem: he encountered an issue while updating his PS3, causing his system to get bricked. So now he's had two broken PS3s in a row, and the system has lost his recommendation as a blu-ray player system of choice for consumers: "Regarding Moriarty’s Awesome Non-Stop Blu-Ray Coverage... Or Lack Thereof! Dear Sony... Y’know, some days it doesn’t pay to be a movie fan. I’ve done tons of DVD coverage over the years here at AICN, and it’s funny... I’ve heard some people actually say, “But yo

Gamers based in the Philippines: How to get in Xbox Live

NOTE: This article has recently been updated (as of August 12, 2006). Singapore no longer lets you input '00000' as your zip code. Please see below for alternate zip codes. So you're a Filipino living in the Philippines with a brand-spanking new Xbox 360. You've heard about all the wonderful stories on Xbox Live. You happen to have a pretty good broadband connection. One day, you try out the Xbox Live sign-up options on your 360, and you find out to your dismay that your country is NOT listed. What do you do? Now, you can probably enjoy your 360 without live at all, but I have to tell you: YOU ARE MISSING OUT. As Peter Moore said in the recent MS Press Conference: "Having your 360 connected to Xbox Live is as vital as having your computer connected to the Internet". He is so damned right. I've been playing on Xbox Live for almost a year now (both on my original Xbox and the Xbox 360). Essentially I found out all of this with a little bit of research, a lit

Lost Odyssey Theme Song - "What You Are" by Sheena Easton

I've uploaded the theme song for Lost Odyssey in YouTube. Check out the video below: At first, I wasn't so into the song but when I heard it in full it grows on you. The song is actually quite beautiful. It was sung by Sheena Easton. With the lyrics from Hironobu Sakaguchi and the composition by Nobuo Uematsu. Very moving song, specially once you understand the lyrics. Below are the lyrics for the song "What You Are" by Sheena Easton When you touch me It feels just like a dream With the warmth that's in your eyes When you look at me I hear your voice beside me It whispers to me I can't hide how it makes me feel The shyness you see I may never Understand how deep it goes But I know how I feel What I hold deep in my heart There's just no way to stop this It's hopeless but true I feel this love More than anything So what more can I do You know I thought I would be much stronger than I am But then I feel the boldness that's inside my heart Just melt aw