Skip to main content

The Hard-To-Please Sony-centric NEOGAFFERS love Lost Odyssey, too.

Reading comments over here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211906&page=34

It seems that Lost Odyssey is getting some good feedback from the generally-hard-to-please Neogaf forum audience (also known as 'The GAF' - 'Gaming Age Forums').

Just as a bit of background, Neogaf is a multiplatform site which, (it seems to me anyway), is largely biased in favor of anything that has to do with Japanese games and consoles. Normally anything Xbox360-related is trashed on the Neogaf forum. This includes Japanese-made games which are released for the Xbox 360. These are generally seen on Neogaf as sales failures in Japan, and thus they usually get the cold shoulder and a lot of negative feedback. Despite this oddity I visit Neogaf because they usually get the console gaming industry news first. But I don't trust most of the user feedback on video games that is given there. Normally the only basis for the quality of a game on Neogaf is the Japanese sales of a title, or the legacy of a series or game character (Final Fantasy, Super Mario, Solid Snake, etc); in other words, if it sells in Japan and is a series that brings back sweet, sweet childhood memories, on GAF it must be good.

Microsoft is generally seen on Neogaf as the 'enemy'---the threat to the status quo dominance of Japanese consoles in the worldwide marketplace. So anything and everything that has to do with Microsoft is usually portrayed in a negative light on the forum.

So imagine my surprise to see some positive buzz for the Xbox 360 exclusive game, Lost Odyssey, on this very forum.

If you read the entire thread, near the beginning, there were early impressions given out by longtime NEOGAF forum members Duckroll and Bebpo on Lost Odyssey, and they were quite harsh and negative. They based their impressions on the Japanese version of the game. To be honest I felt a bit worried when I read their opinions. But the newer impressions, which are based on the Asian version with complete ENGLISH voice/text/menus, are much more positive, and clearly jive with the impressions that Yahoosoda is giving me on the game. This leads me to believe that one of two things are possible:

1. Duckroll and Bepbo's grasp of the Japanese language is flaky, at best. They likely skipped out on the 'Thousand Years of Dreams', or couldn't understand and translate their emotional context completely. Their ineptitude in the Japanese language renders their opinion completely moot.

Yahoosoda tells me the 'Thousand Years of Dreams' is required reading....you have to read them if you want to understand and appreciate the characters, story, and universe of Lost Odyssey.

2. Duckroll and Bepbo are the usual Japanese console fanboys who do not want the Xbox 360 to succeed. With the 'relative' failure of Lost Odyssey (sales-wise) in Japan, they're going the 'safe route' by having a negative opinion. That way, once any negative reviews roll out for Lost Odyssey in the West, they won't look like fools.

That said, the positive opinions for Lost Odyssey on the GAF are a surprise for me. I just hope that when people try out this game, they have an open mind about it and not immediately cast doubts just because 'FINAL FANTASY' is not in the title of the game. While it is clear that Lost Odyssey is an attempt by Microsoft to capture the Japanese audience that failed, this should not cloud one's appreciation for the game. The Japanese might not agree (with their money) that Lost Odyssey is a good game, but that does not mean that the game itself is no good.

Maybe this is a bad analogy---just because you don't see everyone buying expensive Jaguars, Mercedez Benz's or Ferraris doesn't necessarily mean that those cars are no good. If Japan sales are the only measure of a game's quality (as NEOGAF usually calls it), we'd miss out on a lot of great titles that we know would never sell in Japan.

Popular posts from this blog

More on PS3 Hardware Failures: AICN's Moriarty Hit By BDL

Earlier I posted about how the PS3 is no less susceptible to hardware problems. The issue was dubbed the 'BDL' (Blu-Ray Disc Laser problem) over on Pinoyxbox by the multi-console users in the community. You'd find a lot more information about this by searching for error 80010514 and 80029906. That said, I saw this post on AICN from Moriarty ....apparently he also got hit by the BDL problem. He had the console repaired by Sony, and when he got his replacement, he was hit by another problem: he encountered an issue while updating his PS3, causing his system to get bricked. So now he's had two broken PS3s in a row, and the system has lost his recommendation as a blu-ray player system of choice for consumers: "Regarding Moriarty’s Awesome Non-Stop Blu-Ray Coverage... Or Lack Thereof! Dear Sony... Y’know, some days it doesn’t pay to be a movie fan. I’ve done tons of DVD coverage over the years here at AICN, and it’s funny... I’ve heard some people actually say, “But yo

Lost Odyssey Theme Song - "What You Are" by Sheena Easton

I've uploaded the theme song for Lost Odyssey in YouTube. Check out the video below: At first, I wasn't so into the song but when I heard it in full it grows on you. The song is actually quite beautiful. It was sung by Sheena Easton. With the lyrics from Hironobu Sakaguchi and the composition by Nobuo Uematsu. Very moving song, specially once you understand the lyrics. Below are the lyrics for the song "What You Are" by Sheena Easton When you touch me It feels just like a dream With the warmth that's in your eyes When you look at me I hear your voice beside me It whispers to me I can't hide how it makes me feel The shyness you see I may never Understand how deep it goes But I know how I feel What I hold deep in my heart There's just no way to stop this It's hopeless but true I feel this love More than anything So what more can I do You know I thought I would be much stronger than I am But then I feel the boldness that's inside my heart Just melt aw

Gamers based in the Philippines: How to get in Xbox Live

NOTE: This article has recently been updated (as of August 12, 2006). Singapore no longer lets you input '00000' as your zip code. Please see below for alternate zip codes. So you're a Filipino living in the Philippines with a brand-spanking new Xbox 360. You've heard about all the wonderful stories on Xbox Live. You happen to have a pretty good broadband connection. One day, you try out the Xbox Live sign-up options on your 360, and you find out to your dismay that your country is NOT listed. What do you do? Now, you can probably enjoy your 360 without live at all, but I have to tell you: YOU ARE MISSING OUT. As Peter Moore said in the recent MS Press Conference: "Having your 360 connected to Xbox Live is as vital as having your computer connected to the Internet". He is so damned right. I've been playing on Xbox Live for almost a year now (both on my original Xbox and the Xbox 360). Essentially I found out all of this with a little bit of research, a lit